Author Topic: tillering take down bows  (Read 2248 times)

Offline luke the drifter

tillering take down bows
« on: February 06, 2010, 12:16:29 am »
Hey there and how y'all doing,

i have been working on two osage orange stave billits.   one of them had developed a crack in the belly that all the way through to the back and ran off to the side.  Could one work around the crack when tillering or should i in general consider it kindling?  anyway i have shaped another stave as a replacement.  i want to make this bow a take-down.  i have the handle being designed.  how difficult or feasible would it be to do final tiller while assembled in the handle sleeve?  i hope i have made some sense.  the crack in the previous stave, could it be wrapped during final tiller?  lot of questions, hope they make sense.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: tillering take down bows
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 01:06:20 am »
Pics are worth a thousand words!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hrothgar

Re: tillering take down bows
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 07:58:29 pm »
Luke I've made several takedowns using just a 4" long piece of 1" metal pipe and have always done the tillering after I got the tynes whittled down far enough to fit snugly inside the pipe. If you have another stave available and healthy I would just make another limb and go with that.  Good Luck.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.