Author Topic: First Osage.  (Read 2162 times)

Offline Parnell

First Osage.
« on: February 02, 2010, 07:38:58 pm »
With the non-compliance of my carrotwood stave, I'm moving onto a nice piece of osage that Eddie hooked me up with.  Thanks Eddie!  I layed out the dimensions 64" long, bout 1 3/8 outa the fades for a foot then tapering down to .5 right now.  I've been thinning out the wood and all looks great so far.  I took it slow with the band saw and made no mistakes and I'm now ready to start rasping wood to get to floor tiller.  The stave will need some straightening as you'll see in the pictures and there is some twist.  There is a knot at about mid-limb on one but it doesn't cross the bow to the edge. 

What I'm wondering:

Can I straighten the stave with lard and the heat gun through the thicker handle area as well?  What is a estimate for the thickness of osage to be for straightening?  I'll be posting plenty of pictures as I want to take my time and get this bow right.  Please offer your "two cents".

Eddie - I'm gonna try to give you a ring in a bit.

Thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]
1’—>1’

Offline woodstick

Re: First Osage.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 07:46:08 pm »
i would work it down some more before you get to bending it. gona take a little to get her to line up. i would leave it bout 3/4 to a inch thick on the limbes.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 07:53:50 pm »
Couple more pictures that show where it is currently at.  Pretty much where your saying, Woodstick.

[attachment deleted by admin]
1’—>1’

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 09:33:58 pm »
 I'd do like woodstick said and work it down some and remove that little limb. Then clamp it on it's side and grease and heat it while tightening the clamp a little at a time. Like I showed you I do on my door frame. Just take your time and don't over cook the wood.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 06:54:10 am »
I would cut the thickness close to 5/8 or 9/16 it will probably wind up about 3/8 or less.It will bend much easier when floor tillered .Also I don't usually use grease or oil on Osage unless I am making a really hard bend ,like flipping the tips.Heat it till you can touch it but not hold it and bend.I calm it to
a form but if you don't have one just fine something to clamp it to.I also use a shim under the clamp so it don't mash spots in the wood.When it is hot it will sometime make a pretty good dent that you have to deal with later. Good luck.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 09:12:32 am »
I don't generally do any bending until it is floor tillered. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Parnell