Author Topic: tiller check- please be critical- full draws & a "Manny" shot added  (Read 7087 times)

Offline Badger

Re: tiller check- please be critical- full draws & a "Manny" shot added
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 06:32:09 pm »
Elk. mass princ calls for 21 0z on that bow. Looks great. Steve

Offline Cooper

• "I believe in … surprise"
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 06:47:29 pm »
I would prefer a little more bending in the middle and outer limbs

but that's a matter of opinion of course.
Niels Böttcher - "Cooper" (PA) = "Botjer" (FC+FA)
"If this day wasn't your friend it was your teacher …"

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 07:02:15 pm »
thanks, everyone!

i have 50 or so shots through it & i'm starting to see what looks like the faintest little flat spot on the lower mid limb, but i don't plan to do anything about it for at least another 100 arrows (later- have to rest my shoulders, this thing is a brute).

i'm a little hesitant to do much to the tips (maybe a little thinning if anything), since i glued in most of the reflex from mid limb out. i'd cry for days if i messed it up now!

Offline Keenan

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 07:19:46 pm »
very nice looking bow, tiller looks great!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 08:40:01 pm »
Great looking bow but ya need to get some more flamboyant jammies ;) :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Postman

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2010, 11:16:28 pm »
Nice bow! way to take some freezin' for the manny shot!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Badger

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 04:19:05 am »
   Nice tiller but I agree with you slightly more in the outer limbs might have been better, is the bow shocky to shoot or well behaved? If well behaved I think you are fine as is. Steve

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 05:10:45 am »
Isn't it a bit chilly to be out in your pyjamas? ;D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline barebo

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 06:47:36 am »
Looks like a great bow -- I know what you mean about resting the shoulders - the Ipe longbow I finished is pretty stout also!!
I like the tiller profile the way it is - are you getting much shock on release ??  I'd say that you've got a winner there - Nice Work !!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 10:53:56 am »
I love a simple D bow and that is a great combination.  I made one myself, a little less length and a little less weight.  It looks awesome being drawn against the snow like that.  Kinda funny to see Ipe in snow.  Are you going to take it into the bathroom to give it some humidity?
1’—>1’

Rich Saffold

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 01:14:06 pm »
I'm with Badger and why you really can't say much about these tillers from a photo..Is really about the amount of limb movement relative to the unbraced profile.. Just because they are straight looking now doesn't mean its unloading all its energy. And this come from shooting it and how it performs and feels in the hand..

This is why I shoot my bows in and  make any necessary minor tiller adjustments  as opposed to working it out on the tree and then finding out somethings "changed" ;).

Most of these bows don't look like "normal" bows at full draw, and its easily to be wrapped up in the visual aspect of one photo as opposed to watching the limbs in motion..

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2010, 05:55:51 pm »
Isn't it a bit chilly to be out in your pyjamas? ;D
Del

Seriously: I have pyjama pants with the EXACT same pattern, no kidding!

Sure is a nice bow!
Congrats!
Frank from Germany...

half eye

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2010, 06:16:37 pm »
I agree with Rich and Steve, If that baby shoots well for you, and the way you had in mind all along....then shoot that baby!
      The fact that it looks really good (which yours does) is not as important as how it performs for you.
half eye ;)

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 02:00:13 am »
my wife helped me "convert" a few light (450gr) arrows into a more respectable weight range (700-800gr range). she's brilliant at times! with the heavier arrows it's whisper quiet & soft in the hand. the heavy arrows are hard on my little indoor target, though- never built a bow that hits this hard before! it's a blast to shoot now & i can't wait to get out & start stumping with it (only 4 feet of snow in the way right now)  :-\

i think part of the reason it was tiring me out more yesterday was just the whole "new bow- afraid to really pull hard through my anchor" syndrome. it seems like they're always harder to shoot when you first start shooting them in (and in the back of your mind you're expecting a big BOOM!). anyone else notice this, or is it more of a rookie bowyer thing?

oh, and those are my light weight "tillering jammies". i'll bust out the "finishing jammies" for the next round of pics....
i'll get some more full draw pics after a few hundred arrows & compare the tiller to the ones i posted. if the reflex is still holding strong in the tips, i may thin them a bit then.

thank you all for the replies! it's incredibly helpful to have as much combined experience & brilliance (& a little bs- we need that!) of this forum to help.
Rob

Offline ohma

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2010, 01:30:19 pm »
great looking bow ,great pics .and even bed clothes go well with a well made bow.
if your not dead you are getting older so get out and shoot some arrows.