Author Topic: OK...... so lets tiller the BACK of the bow/ It's DONE & ALIVE  (Read 14389 times)

Offline TBod

Re: OK...... so lets tiller the BACK of the bow/ made full draw
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 04:05:21 pm »
Excellent project as always.

I sure wonder why they scooped the back, Very interesting indeed. Hope you can figure it out.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 04:10:13 pm »
     Just thought you'd like to see what the "crazy" is up to now.

Wouldn't dare call you crazy! ....then again...maybe I should  ;D ;D ;D
Really looking foreward for the finish bow!!!
Frank from Germany...

half eye

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 04:16:45 pm »
Thanks Marc....I'm just trying to copy these Native bows....see if there was any reason for making the backs concave....after some shooting I'll find out about the longevity thing.... I'm guessing at the tiller profile even so it's sort of a crap-shoot.

TBod: I really have no idea, maybe never will.....I know the Esqiumax and Inuitt etc. would grove the back to help located the "cable" for cable backed....but even then not all did it, so I really dont know for sure...it's just got me fascinated is all.
half eye ;)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 07:50:01 pm »
Rich I agree that the out half needs to bend more, I'm wondering how much set has it taken at this point?
Looking good though :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

half eye

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 09:02:30 pm »
Dana,
       Right now it's setting at about 3/4" and picks up maybe another 1/2 of short term string follow (goes away after unbracing). hope the terminology is correct. Most of my self bows that are short usually wind up with about 2" after shooting in. Will let you know. I dont heat treat, or set in reflex or anything so the 2" is about where they reach equalibrium (at least thats what I call it. Never been a problem to me but I know some of you fellas don't like that much.
      Oh ya I'm a big fat liar on that arrow in the full draw shot....actually measured it and it's only 30 1/2....not 31....photos dont lie buddy.
half eye ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 11:36:07 pm »
What a wonderful project. Takes a real wood crafter to think outside of the box. Keep OldBow posted when this projects comes to a final stage. Quite the consideration for January Self BOM,  >:D fun!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Keenan

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 12:14:42 am »
 Half eye you are doing some great reawakening of some long forgotten bow types. Thanks for sharing your journeys. looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 01:24:00 pm »
I'm not a set or string follow fanatic but it is a good indicator as to the stress on the bow.

I'm willing to bet this bow lives :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

half eye

Re: OK...... so lets tiller the BACK of the bow/ the one that got away !!!
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 02:25:49 pm »
Well fellas....get yer "I told ya so" slippers on. Just couldn't leve well enough alone..... Was tweeking the tiller on the lower limb (see pic) by removing a skoshie-bit of the belly of the lower limb up from the fade....found a couple of pin knots and instead of leaving it alone I figured "what could it hurt"....well the lower limb for sure  ::)

For the gore-a-phobes in the crowd there are some pics of the corpse....I did learn one thing in that I believe the scooped back was for decoration or some purpose other than tillering. This is why....no matter how much you scoop out the last 4 inches of limb tips they wont bend, and second is that if ya look at the pictures of the museum bows the channel has an even depth to it, but if you were actually tillering the channel would have to be different depths at different limb width areas.....

As allways....comments are welcomed, now that I'm done crying in my beer I turned the heat on in the shed and I'm rolling up my sleeves for round two....it's gettin personal now!
half eye ;)

half eye

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2010, 02:27:38 pm »
It would help to post the pics...duh ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DanaM

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2010, 02:35:40 pm »
Back to the drawing board eh ;)

Manistique, MI

half eye

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2010, 02:41:38 pm »
Ya Dana....stuff happens eh ;D

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2010, 03:02:38 pm »
My condolences, Half-eye.  Every broken bow makes us stronger though, right?  (I'll try to remember to tell myself next time)

The two raised ridges left must have been under incredible amounts of tension!  Deepening the groove would only be removing wood from the neutral plane-- wood that does nothing except glue the back to the belly.  Wood that's not in either tension or compression.  I wonder if the groove in the bow you copied was a channel for a cord back?  I think a shallow groove would be fine, but the depth should remain constant.  When you were tillering the tips, probably the ridges should have been thinned at the same rate as the groove.  ...but then you've got runout... If anybody can make it work, it's you.

Can't wait to follow the next adventure!

Garett
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline StevenT

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2010, 03:05:31 pm »
Hey, I'm learning here... not being critical and just want to see if I am reading this right. Looking at the full draw picture, does it look like the top limb has a, I believe you all call it a hinge, that starts about 8 inches above the handle  and the top part of the limb is real flat. Just checking?

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2010, 03:08:02 pm »
Well you can't really give up on a design  after just one blows... Glad to hear you are starting another.   :) -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln