Author Topic: Building a Ghillie suit  (Read 9711 times)

Offline Kegan

Building a Ghillie suit
« on: January 24, 2010, 05:37:16 pm »
I was down at the store yesterday picking up more finish and Titebond III when I noticed they had camo burlap for hunting. My initial thought was that it'd be perfect for blinds, but I noticed there was quite a bit of material there for two blinds. Today I happened across a picture of a ghillie coat and thought, "hey... I want to make one of those!"

I was wondering if anyone had made one before or might have ANY information or advice on these things that might help me with this?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Building a Ghillie suit
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 05:52:09 pm »
 I have made one from Burlap. It is too hot and heavy for huntint down here. It is easier to make one then buy one, they are too expensive.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline lowell

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 07:04:29 pm »
I made one and used a lightwieght leafy camo jacket that I realLy didn't use.  So I cut strips and used artificial sinew to sew the burlap strips to the "leaves" on the jacket.  Also tied on some different colored length of jute chord also.

Just got the jacket done ...not the pants.  Never hunted with it last fall because of sore shoulder but would still like to give it a try.  I did some shooting with it on and was in the process of trimming areas that would interfere with string and my sight window.  It would be very warm but that is not a problem cause it is usually cold here.  Would not like to get caught in the rain cause I think it would get very heavy!!

I can post a picture or 2 if you would like to see it.
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 07:07:58 pm »
 I use a net leaf pants and jackets suit. When its hot during archery season I wear shorts and a T shirt.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 02:16:09 pm »
Lowell I'd love to see some pictures :)

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 07:19:50 pm »
I was looking around at a few tutorials, seems that most use old BDU's. I was intending to use an old shooded sweatshirt, but now I'm wondering if it would be too loose?

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 07:29:45 pm »
I used an old hunting jacket, boonie hat and old hunting pants. The hat really breaks up your sillohett better than a hood. I used a netting sewn and glued to the articles of clothing then tied my strips to it. It also makes it easier to put foliage from the are into the suit.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 11:06:46 am »
i have a storebought one so i wouldnt know where to start with makeing one. alot of people say to start with army surpluss pants and jacket cuz theyr cheap and durrable.
lets just shoot it

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 12:00:12 pm »
there is a company callled bushrag.com.  they sell a ghillie net jacket with a hood.  from what i've heard, bdu's and other jackets get uncomfortably hot but the netting helps to keep you cool.  i have about 30 large burlap coffee bean sacks i'm planning to use to build one using the netting this summer.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 02:06:42 pm »
Well, I'm not really in the mood to buy a BDU jacket... cause I'm that cheap :D. I'm going to jsut take in one of these hooded sweat shirts and then sew the burlap on in layers, and then cut them into "layered fringe". I'll have to wait until the next time we swing by the store, but at least I have an idea of what I'm doing :D

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 10:55:13 am »
Kegan i am i n the process of making one myself i am using burlap also what i did was sew some fishing net to a Boonie hat and started tying it on in different colors i will post a pic of the hat when i get back from work :)  its almost done and for the body part i am going to use the same fishing net to make a poncho style suit and tie the burlap on it or if u want u can also sew sections of the net to some clothes and the tie the burlap on but i figure the poncho style is much cooler it will allow u to wear less clothes under lol will have pic soon ok ttys

sterling
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 11:14:20 am »
My wife picked up a like new camo breathable mesh bug suit-pants and jacket from online bidding.  Got it for a steal.  Seems like there are lots of clothing items to bid on.  I imagine some people don't want used clothes though.  I could care less for this type of outer layer stuff.  I'm not putting on anyone elses drawers or socks though. :P
1’—>1’

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 03:06:01 pm »
I'm still interested in making one, but right now I'm flat broke so I'm going to have to adapt my plans a bit :D.

Skyarrow- I'd like to see that.

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 10:12:25 pm »
here is the hat i am not done building it but i am pretty far it is usable i still need to get the short side and back longer this was a bushrag kit i got about 5 years ago and i never finished it lol so a month ago i was cleaning out the back seat of my truck and found it lol  u can use just about anything to make a ghillie suit the head piece is the most important part because it breaks the shape of your head and that's what animals and people see first to tell that you are a human lol u can make a thin layered one and then just tie the natural vegetation on it to fill it out i did that to my paintball mask and turned it into a ghillie mask only and i will say it works very well i could sneak up on people as close as 10 feet before they could see me and one guy sed when he was lookn around all he could see was legs he could not distinguish the head lol and it took him a few second to tell that i was that close. are you using burlap string or cutting strips? post some pics and in the meantime i will look up some old but good instructions on the wide strip pattern i have ttyl

sterling

[attachment deleted by admin]
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline aero86

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 02:31:48 am »
whered you go?

hahah
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.