Author Topic: "Sticky" Ipe bow Done - Pics  (Read 3803 times)

Offline barebo

Re: "Sticky" Ipe bow Done - Pics
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 10:41:38 am »
Thanks everyone for the positive input. Seeing what has been and what is in process here is a pleasure and wealth of information for me!! I always wanted to build a longbow, and after seeing for example, Richard's beautiful Ipe creations, I sought out and found a local source for a nice board. I bought a 1'x6'x10' clear board and was able to take 4' from the end and saw it into 4 equal 1-1/4" wide x 4' long pieces. I spliced 2 to make this one. Simply cut a foot from each end. It's just over 1-3/16" at the fades and straight tapers to a bit over 3/8" at the upper tip, and is 7/16'' at the bottom tip. The Ash was ripped from a stave that was destined for a flatbow, but I had no other backing, so I said "why not???". Because the Ash was really variable in thickness along it's entire length, it was tricky to tiller, but fun and challenging. I made a LOT of reddish brown shavings. If I get it back to my full draw and get a nice clean release, it casts a nice arrow. Not a screamer, but inside of 20 yds, I'd be confident to harvest a deer handily.
I want to thank everyone for helping me make this one a shooter !!!

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 04:54:28 pm »
that looks really nice Barebo!  I am glad you finally got your finish to dry on it!  remember to try the acetone trick on your next one, it really helps alot.  The tiller looks great on it and I really love the braced profile, you really did a great job!   :) -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline stallion27

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 11:56:12 pm »
That is a nice stick you built. Love the way the ash looks. Congrats on a beautiful bow.

Eric
Nothing compares to the mystical flight of the arrow.