Linked Events

• New Eng. Primitive Skills: June 12, 2010 - June 13, 2010

Author Topic: new england primitive skills weekend  (Read 7493 times)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
new england primitive skills weekend
« on: March 11, 2010, 02:49:37 pm »
woodbury ct. june 12th and 13th. bow making, flint knapping, 3d shoot, and other primitive skills. hosted by algonquin archers. camping available. hope to see a bunch of new faces this year. shoot me a p.m. for more info. peace
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 04:03:06 pm by Calendargirl »
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Dane

Re: new england primitive skills weekend
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 03:04:26 pm »
Jamie, the NEPSG is still on? I think your club's website is down right now.

When you get a second, confirm that it is still the 12 and 13 of June. I've been plugging the event whenever I can.

Thanks,

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline jamie

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 09:11:41 am »
12 and 13 buddy
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 06:41:26 am »
Sweet, Looking forward to it,  I'm bringing my son, it will be his first prim. gathering.   
Traverse City, MI

Offline jamie

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 08:26:05 am »
my daughter is coming down so if you need a babysitter she'll be there.

waterbury, ct

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 11:41:23 pm »
Cool deal.  Not sure if I will be able to get him away from bashing rocks.  He makes more of a mess of my tool bucket than you. ;D
Traverse City, MI

Offline Dane

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 11:17:40 am »
I unfortunately didn’t take any photos, but wanted to post and say thanks so much to Jamie and all the folks at his club, Algonquin Archers. As always, they did a fantastic job on the NEPSG, which was held on their club grounds in Woodbury, CT. This was I think my 5th time coming, and it was a great time. The weather was a bit wet, and at one point, there was a strong downpour, but everyone just moved into the club building and kept working until the rain ended. A bunch of kids were at this, and the folks helping them get started on bow making were great. I think there were 4 or 5 shaving horses on hand, as well as enough hand tools that no one went without.

They had an indoor cordage making class using dogbane that was very well intended, and another club member taught net making.

Later, after it was dryer, everyone moved back outside. There was lots of fire making going on, including some techniques I have never seen from the Philippines and the southwestern US that uses bamboo and a type of yucca. I taught a couple of folks how to use flint and steel and char cloth, and someone’s son showed us an even better way of placing the char cloth right on the flint :) Rick J. showed me a great hand drill technique, so now I just have to get practicing to master that skill.

The other activity I chose (surprise) was making a new bow. The club provided very nice red elm staves, and I have a new Tybrind Vig at the early floor tiller stage. Elm is the correct wood for a replica of this bow, and I am hoping to get this to pull 27” at 60#.

Instructors from the Maine Primitive Skills School were there, and were all great to talk to, and learn from.

Other activities Saturday were an edible plant walk and split ash basket making. Gary Knoff (spelling, and I apologize) and his wife Linda showed up and gave some great instruction on making atlatls and darts, and helped some kids make their own equipment. The club also had a nice 30 target 3D course set up. Rick and I shot half the course along with his son Aaron, a terrific and really cute kid. He had a beautifully-made little long bow and set of arrows with 2-feather fletching Rick made for him, and considering his size and the range he was shooting, he did better than us. :) Neither of us managed to loose any arrows, always a big deal for me, and while I didn’t shoot at Olympic level, I hit more than I missed (except for the stupid alligator and bunny targets. They kept moving from my arrows, lol).

Jamie was around the whole day making sure everyone was set and having fun, and he cooked up a mess of wild boar for dinner, which was awesome. The rest of dinner was a green salad, venison with ziti and rolls. The end of the evening ended with a camp fire with lots of folks hanging out.

I like that I am starting to get to know the participants, so it felt like coming home to this event. Some years there is a large attendance, while others have less bodies but no less fun and value. Probably, a bit smaller group of attendees makes for a more relaxed event with more individual instructor time if you need it.

I got out of there around 10 PM, and wished I could have stayed and camped and spend the next day there. For certain, I am keeping that weekend open for next year.

Dane

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 12:07:30 pm »
Sounds like a great event,I got to get up there some day. Need pictures. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline jamie

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 03:00:29 pm »
Thanks dane the event is a success because of all the regulars like yourself who show up and help out. All the people I've taught are now there teaching. You all are awesome. I'm pretty spent right now but would do it everyday if I could.I'll get some pics up soon pappy and have seat next to the fire when you do get up here. Peace

waterbury, ct

Offline Dane

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 08:33:24 pm »
It was my pleasure coming and helping in any way I could. I have to think about maybe getting something going I can teach that no one else does.

My buddy John, who came with me, did take a few shots. This is not a beauty contest featuring me (though I am devilisly good looking), but maybe you can get an idea of what the outdoor archery range looks like. The entiire club grounds are so nice, and they have an excellent indoor range now. I was trying to kill the very cool bear target, and actualy kept hitting it even with others around. The bow is my favorite, the Sarnate, which I keep coming back to. And as you can guess, I am looking all stupid in the first picture posted. That is normal for me :)

Looking forward to your shots, Jamie.

Dane

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline jamie

Re: new england primitive skills weekend (pics)
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 09:40:49 pm »
mark young of maine , basket maker extrodinaire

dane and his crew

andy dobos instructing cordage

gary the atlatl guy in blue shirt. he's amazing

net making

rick trojanowskis kid was awesome

my daughter and boys took to knappin this weekend

russ stopped by for a spell

my daughter just spun a bowdrill fire

my son workin on a bow

buddy of mine teaching stalking skills to the kids

a knife made by a woman who decided she wanted to try knapping. great job too

waterbury, ct

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 11:13:23 pm »
As usual, I brought a camera and it never made it out of the truck. ::)  It was a great weekend and  a Big Thanks to Jamie for making it happen.  This was my 4th time there and it was  a great time as always.  I finally got the fire saw thanks to some help from Andy Dobos.  Also got to finally spend a little time with Dane.  We shot the course with my son.  It was a blast, Dane is crazy so we got along really well.  We all made it out without losing any arrows. ;)  Hopefully some of the Southern gang can make it up North to hang out with us Yankees next year. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline Dane

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 11:54:16 pm »
It is true, Rick. My doc let me out of the institution for the day, as long as I promised not to harm any small animals or other people.

I'd love to see more Southerners come up. Or midwestern and western folks. Everyone, in fact.

The event is always terrific. Jamie does a great job, as does his entire club. Again, thanks to all.

Dane