Author Topic: field points on cane shafts  (Read 6279 times)

Offline aero86

field points on cane shafts
« on: January 21, 2010, 05:02:18 pm »
id like to add some field points to the bamboo(cane) shafts im making so i can shoot them more often.  whats the best way to do that?  are there any that slip over the end of the shaft?
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline DanaM

Re: field points on cane shafts
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 08:02:38 pm »
I just taper the boo like it was cedar if the shaft is a bit fat for the point I sand the end of the shaft down a bit to make it work.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 08:04:01 pm »
ok, i just didnt know if anyone put a small plug in, or if the walls could handle it.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 08:07:40 pm »
if its river cane you may want to plug it Tonkin doesn't need it. try a scrap piece and see what works for ya
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 11:47:57 pm »
I do mine like Dana said. If it's thick walled, you don't need to plug it. If there's a good sized hole, put a piece of dowel or bamboo skewer in it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 04:44:40 am »
I do it all them ways...if it's thin...I plug them...that Tonkin Eddie sent Me....is so thick it don't need any help....and then there is my Favorite way..I buy the smallest Carbon Arrow threaded inserts you can buy....drill the Shafts out....glue in the Inserts....and now you have a Multipurpose Shaft...instead of just a Target Shaft.....works great on Tonkin Boo....thats what I shot my 230 pound 7 pointer with this Year....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 10:13:13 am »
Here in the UK I buy 5/16" (seems best fot for the shafts I buy) paralllel fit piles for my bamboo arrows.  I scrape the outer rind down on my bamboo arrows until the shaft fits tightly in the pile, and glue together using two-pack glue.  I dont use plugs at the pile end, but I do use plugs of scrap osage at the nock end, again glued in with two-pack adhesive, before I cut the self nocks into the shaft.
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline NTD

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 10:24:30 am »
What kind of glue do you use for the inserts Mike?  Think I want to try that on my next tonkin arrows.
Nate Danforth

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 12:05:09 pm »
Either Super Glue Gel...or Bohning Powerbond Adhesive....the Bohning is my favorite...gives a lot more Set Time...and stays more Pliable than Super Glue...so if you hit a Rock or something hard...the Glue won't fail
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Robert E. Leet

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 02:49:33 pm »
If you get wooden dowls that are just bigger than your boo than you hardly need any glue.  I sand down my dowles slightly then packe 'em with the heaviest hide glue I have.  Seems to work pretty good, but I don't know how they'll hold up.  (Only had for a couple months)  But I'd follow El Destructo's advice, he knows best. . .

Offline NTD

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 02:54:06 pm »
Thanks Mike.  I used Duco to glue my points on my cane on the last set and when shooting the other day lost 4 points in a row...It was frustrating...eh but i guess it gives me the chance to try the inserts...
Nate Danforth

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 02:56:39 pm »
I use Duco for fletching. But I use Superglue to put on field points. Here in the winter, the cold will defeat hot melt glue and the points will fall right off outside.
Living a dream...

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 03:09:39 pm »
Tsalagi...thats exactly why I use either Super Glue or the Powerbond...they don't let go...the More I use the Bohning Powerbond...the More I seem to like it better....it's a strong as Gorilla Glue....without the Air Bubbles that Gorilla Glue is Notorious for... And Nate...once you make a set with the Inserts....you will wonder how and why you didn't do it from the Start..... ;D...and if you are worried that the cane is too thin after the Inserts are installed...you can wrap the ends with Sinew and Hide Glue....or Silk String and Super Glue for your added peace of Mind.... :P
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 07:52:28 pm »
El D, yes, I discovered the pitfalls of hot melt glue the hard way, LOL! Losing field points.
Living a dream...

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 01:56:20 am »
I've only done a couple field points this way but I liked the results.  Then again I lost the arrows while stump shooting.  :)  The screw inserts were a bit large than was the hole in my cane.  I tightened a file in my vice.  Then, put the field point in my electric drill, point end facing the motor.   Touching the thread end of the field tip to the file I was able to keep the end round and reduce it to fit in the cane hole.  Probably a bit of over-kill, but used 2 ton epoxy to glue it in.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw