Author Topic: tiller help  (Read 1531 times)

Offline aero86

tiller help
« on: January 24, 2010, 10:40:43 pm »
first major bow that ive been working on.  i made a few when i was younger, but nothing even close to decent.  anyways, ive been working on this board bow for the last month.  unfortunately ive only had a few minutes at a time here and there.  anyways, its a red oak board, 6 foot long.  i didnt cut any length off, so that i could have a decent draw length and maintain some kind of safety.  anyways, heres my current tiller, its getting there, but you guys have better eyes than me.  also, the handle area, ive rounded off the corners, but i left it full width and thickness.  can i take a bit of width out of it?

please excuse my work space, i have one of those chimney things out back, and im saving my bamboo for kindling, haha.  i know the angle is funny, but if you can see the lines of the siding, the ends are pretty similar. 

profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline elk country rp

Re: tiller help
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 11:58:47 pm »
the right limb looks pretty good, the left looks much stiffer

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 02:15:55 am »
 how much bend do you want in the handle area ? the limb on the left needs to catch up with the other limb a bit
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 07:37:17 am »
I would take a little out of the middle 2/3 of the left limb.I save the fads and last 6 or 8 inches
from the tips till last,looking pretty good so far. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 04:58:09 pm »
 I'll second what Pappy said. ;)