Author Topic: Hackberry "D" bow for a friend  (Read 3256 times)

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
Hackberry "D" bow for a friend
« on: January 27, 2010, 06:56:00 pm »
Well I've got this friend at work and he is one of them "wheelie" guys, you know, the kind with all the new bells and whistles and every time something new comes out he's coming to me and asking if I've seen the new gadget. I've been trying to convert or at least get him to shoot a traditional bow for about 2 years now ... but to no avail, until now, I may have him going now. He's thinking about coming to OJAM this year and he is decorating a wall in his house with some Native American items and asked me to make him a bow for his wall. I told him sure, I would love to. He didn't want anything fancy or functional for that matter. Here's what I came up with... a Hackberry "D" bow with pin knocks and a little decoration (stain, sinew, feathers and beads). It pulls about 35#@28", so hopefully I can get him to shoot it some. Oh yea, I made him an arra to go with it too. This bow only took me 3hrs to make including the handle and finish, I really like this Hackberry. Let me know what ya think.

Sorry no full draw... home alone.
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline DanaM

Re: Hackberry "D" bow for a friend
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 06:58:32 pm »
It looks great and keep after him to go shooting with ya he will eventually cave and see the light ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline John K

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 07:08:50 pm »
Looks great, to nice to just hang on the wall !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 08:04:51 pm »
great bow!  Make him shoot it.  What's the tiller look like?  We need more pictures of full draw...   :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 09:57:04 pm »
I really like the finish.  Very nice.  How wide did you go?
1’—>1’

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 11:12:13 pm »
Thanks guys!

Dana, I think he's coming around.

Josh, the tiller looks purdy good. I shot a few arras thru it today, it's a little sluggish compared to what I'm used to.

Parnell, it is only 1 1/4" wide. This was a split that wasn't supposed to split where it did. So I utilized it the best I could. A little narrow for Hackberry if ya ask me. But if he likes it I'll build him a "Real Bow".
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 11:26:56 pm »
Great looking bow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline gmc

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 11:36:24 pm »
That's a darn good looking bow. I just hope he understands what he's getting.
Central Kentucky