Author Topic: scary moment  (Read 3662 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
scary moment
« on: January 18, 2010, 09:43:10 pm »
Saturday night I was tillering and heard a crack, then a boom and stuff went flying everywhere and I was ducking and running for cover. After all the commotion, I turned around and looked to see the wreckage. To my supprise, the bow was still sitting on the tree. I have been using a fishing scale to build bows for a while. I liked the big digital display. The rope I was using to pull it had snapped. The bow launched the scale smashing it into the beam above it and sending parts everywhere. Today I went looking for another scale and couldn't find one over 50#. I finally went to a local hardware store and struck gold. They had this big old 300# scale sitting on the shelf half open. I had been looking for a heavier scale, but they were too expensive. I asked and they told me that since it had been sitting so long and it was open I could have it for $30. I bought it, went to the rock climbing store and bought a 6mm rope rated at 2200 pounds and I'm in better shape than I was before.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: scary moment
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 09:47:27 pm »
 Yep, that's like mine. My buddy bought it when he was catching hogs, then got rid of his two Catahoulas and gave it to me. It's a good one, I haven't warn out the bottom end yet.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Lombard

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 09:52:24 pm »
If you make a bow that will max out your three hundred pound scale; that will be scary.
Joker that pulls it to full draw; really scary.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 09:55:59 pm »
Thats a good scale Justin. Will come in handy when you get into those heavyweight bows. Steve

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 10:15:08 pm »
Eddie, Ill take it hunting hogs in the spring.

Lombard, he has to catch me before he can hurt me.  :-*

Steve, The scale is what has been keeping me from building a 120# bow. Now Im going to get it done.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 10:18:53 pm »
i used the berkley one like you were using for my first two bows, I figured out after those two that it is NOT shock resistant whatsoever.  I don't know if you dropped it ever before your catastrophe with the rope, but the first time I dropped mine parts of the digital readout quit working.  Glad you got a good-un.  :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 10:26:20 pm »
Looks good, Justin. Use that scale i good health. I'm glad you were on the t tree at a safe distance from the flying parts. I guess you have to be tough to be a selfbowyer. I'm one anyway. LOL.  :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 10:42:14 pm »
I was kinda expecting to read that you gotten surrounded by mountain lions, or maybe fell into a snake den or something to that effect ;D. But I guess a self bowering catastrophe will work ::). That one aughta last ya awhile..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 11:08:01 pm »
Josh, You can have the screen from mine.  ;D
George, I learned safety from the best.  ;) At least 10 feet of rope between me and the tree.
Paul, I would rather be surrounded by mountain lions than have a bow explode at that point. Especially if I had my bow.  >:D

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 01:08:31 am »
Once bitter, twice a fool! You are a quick study. ;)
  Now you can compete with Jim and a 250# war bow!  ;D  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 01:11:11 am »
 Wow Justin Glad your ok and sounds like a blessing in disguise. Nice new set up,,,still be carefull on the tillering. When we gain the confidence on the set up sometimes that wood will suprise us with an even bigger boom. ::)
 I had a tip deeply embedded in the sheetrock ceiling of my shop. ::) :o

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 01:40:14 am »
George only had to tell me once how dangerous it was and I listened. It is a good thing he keeps reminding us though or I would forget. Look at the bright side, I know the bow shoots with force.  ;D
Keenan, I have at least one dent in the wood beam above my tillering tree.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 08:20:11 am »
Good looking scale Justin,glad you wasn't hurt. :) That should handle anything you want to build
or kill. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 08:39:03 am »
Thats looks the same as mine...it's a Shibuto though...not a Taylor...I picked it up at a Feed Store...does all that I need it to do...you are lucky that you didn't get hit with the Schrapnel....... :o
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

half eye

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 11:01:20 am »
Hey Justin,
       Been there, it is flat scary I didn't know how low this old man could get :D Of course that hitting the floor was WAY to late, my scale is all metal like your new one and man can them ricochee around a room.....for about a milisecond you dont know if you should s*#! or go blind......glad your still in one piece
half eye