Author Topic: Fonud this rock. Any idea?  (Read 3761 times)

Offline bryan irwin

Fonud this rock. Any idea?
« on: January 17, 2010, 07:56:08 pm »
I went on a rock run today and found this. It has grooves cut around it and sorta resembles an axe. What do you think?

[attachment deleted by admin]
bryan irwin

Offline mrkinsey

Re: Fonud this rock. Any idea?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 08:02:18 pm »
were you anywhere near a rock quarry?  That rock looks like it was drilled for dynamite.
There is always Hope.

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 08:06:13 pm »
no i found a place to get speckled rhyolite and the abo's had been working it there is flakes every where.
bryan irwin

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 09:14:01 pm »
Just looks like a sedimentary rock with layers of varying hardness that's been rolling on a river/stream bottom.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 09:32:06 pm »
 It's not an axe. Not with 3 grooves.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 09:47:46 pm »
Just looks like a sedimentary rock with layers of varying hardness that's been rolling on a river/stream bottom.

i would agree,looks like natural erosion on it
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 12:33:29 am »
Looks cool. Save it and make something out of it.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 01:34:25 am »
Maybe the original owner was using it to test his pecking and grinding techniques!  ;D  My first thought was uneven wear because of un-similar composite materials.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 07:34:06 am »
Another s#x rock eh :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 10:51:59 am »
Yup, looks natural to me. I find weird stuff like that in West TX.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 09:42:48 pm »

Looks like a thingamabob to me...... ::)  you could tie a piece of heavy twine to it, and then tie it to a heavier line, and then toss the rock to someone to pull the heavy line in.....or you could use it as a weapon, or a door stop, or paper weight, or wallnut smacker, or squirrel smacker...... ;D  The bigger one does look like a piece of quarry, or road rock that had been drilled for explosives. ;)  What the hell, put it on e-bay, it's better than a potato chip Madonna! ;D

Wayne

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 10:19:07 pm »
Ihear you guy's the only thing thati know i s  that it is rhyolite and was found in a place full of worked rock and flakes and i picked up about 200# of it about 50 feet above the pee dee river in anson co. n.c.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 10:37:48 pm by bryan irwin »
bryan irwin

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 11:44:53 pm »

Big Pee Dee, or Little Pee Dee? ::)

Wayne

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 10:41:17 am »

.....or wallnut smacker, or squirrel smacker...... ;D 

Wayne

squirrel smacker? teacher looked at me funny when i busted out laughing lol.
lets just shoot it

Offline StevenT

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 03:25:32 pm »
After the last S#X rock, I was going to stay away from this one. However..... looking at the first picture, I find it real interesting there are two sets of parallel indentations. If you look at them, they line up perfectly across from each other. Not only that, if you look close, both sets angle inward. To me, natural erosion could not have done this. I also have never seen drill holes for blasting this close together or for that matter angled like that. I am gong to suggest another theory... man made. What if this was mounted between the forks of a Y shaped stick. Could it have been used as some sort of hammer or some other type tool? You also have to take into account were it was found. I wouldn't discard it as a S#X rock to quickly. OK, that is my two cents worth.