Author Topic: split arrow shaft  (Read 4619 times)

Offline Frode

split arrow shaft
« on: January 15, 2010, 09:57:38 pm »
Hi all,
I probably already know the answer to this one, but...
New arrow, 40-45# spine, sitka spruce, 100 grain field point, on its second ever shot, snagged a bit of straw in the target and lifted the mother of all splinters.  I pried the split open a bit and blew all the straw out and it laid back nice and smooth.  I figured it for a loss, so I filled the split with Titebond III (new bottle, just playing around, never tried it on anything yet), wrapped it tight and let it dry.  The joint looks nice and tight, add a little sawdust and glue and sandpaper and you'd never know it happened.  I made the pic below after I'd already glued the shaft up, it is exaggerated a bit for clarity.
I imagine shooting this arrow is a bad thing waiting to happen, but it never hurts to ask.
Thanks,
Frode, potential purveyor of hand crafted tomato stakes...

[attachment deleted by admin]
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline youngbowyer33

Re: split arrow shaft
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 10:19:34 pm »
i'd wrap it with something for extra safety, then only shoot it at soft things
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline Frode

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 10:40:13 pm »
i'd wrap it with something for extra safety, then only shoot it at soft things
Like silk thread coated with more TitebondIII?  Do you think that would work for just straw bale target shooting?  And the occasional foam wig head.
Thanks,
Frode

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 11:38:28 pm »
Next time try super glue. Then wrap it in silk and saturate the silk with super glue. It looks like it was meant to be that way and it will hold down almost any splinter.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 11:58:56 pm »
 I'd go back and read one of my old post about $7000  out of pocket with insurance, and 4 nights in the hospital. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 12:08:32 am »
 I wouldn't fool about with trying to fix a crack or lifted splinter on an arrow myself. As Mullet pointed out, it can be more expensive than replacing the arrow.
Living a dream...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 12:39:53 am »
You could fill the splinter with super glue and after it dries sand the area well. Then do a silk wrap, about 1/4" long at the point end of the splinter. Saturate the silk with super glue. When dry sand with very fine sandpaper and add more super glue, sand again and add a final coat of super glue. This will make a solid glue/silk band around the shaft and shouldn't interfere with the target.
  Did you study the grain of each arrow before you determined which end would what? If that were at the nock end it wouldn't matter.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 11:11:27 am »
As it lifted a splinter in the manner shown, I would suggest that the wood's ring pattern runs through the shaft at a greater angle than is safe. I would not feel comfortable shooting such an arrow as it is an accident waiting to happen.  Break the shaft and chuck it away. (don't forget to remove the pile, fletches and if a plastic applied nock remove it and use them on the replacement. 30 seconds in a microwave is all that is usually needed to soften most fletching cements and enable the removal of the feathers and nock.

Craig.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 11:22:22 am »
As it lifted a splinter in the manner shown, I would suggest that the wood's ring pattern runs through the shaft at a greater angle than is safe. I would not feel comfortable shooting such an arrow as it is an accident waiting to happen.  Break the shaft and chuck it away. (don't forget to remove the pile, fletches and if a plastic applied nock remove it and use them on the replacement. 30 seconds in a microwave is all that is usually needed to soften most fletching cements and enable the removal of the feathers and nock.

Craig.

What he said. If the grain in the arrow is such that it did that, I would expect it to do the same thing further up the shaft, too. If it blows on the bow, you may be wearing half of it through your arm . Shafts are cheaper than doctors.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Little John

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 12:03:58 pm »
What hillbilly said.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Frode

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 12:40:59 pm »
Thanks everyone!
I think I'll err on the side of safety here.  I'm going to recover the point, nock, and what I can of the feathers, and keep the shaft to practice finishing, wrapping, and whatnot.
It'll be my finest tomato stake ever.   ;D
Frode

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 01:57:19 am »
Hey you guys! Don't throw those broken arrows away! Send them to me and I'll take care of them. Been doing that repair for many years. Arrows that are not already cracked or broken don't break when loosed. The ones that go through somebody's hand were broken before they let the string go.

What's more, all the paradoxical bending of an arrow is well back of the point....

Oh well, fear is a powerful argument....
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 11:22:00 pm »
Yup, not worth the chance as Hillbilly explained. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!