Author Topic: stinking buckskin  (Read 11408 times)

Offline deersled

stinking buckskin
« on: January 16, 2010, 01:50:29 pm »
just finished braintanning a couple deer hides. they have a peculiar aroma. Kinda fishy. didn't understand why my wife was complaining about the smell until my head cold went away, haha. Will that smell go away when the hide is smoked. I used deer brains. Will eggs have the same smell?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: stinking buckskin
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 03:05:33 pm »
Never had a Fishy smelly deer Hide...unless it was left in the Pickle too long and went sour...but then You said that it's already tanned with Brain...never heard of that.maybe Jesse (leapingbare) or someone educated more in Braining will have an Idea....ya got me stumped...... :-[
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 07:27:10 pm »
I had my bucket of brains in the house an I beleive they get sour in about 2 days. I had a hide that had that same fishy smell. I smoked it today an seems to smell Well like smoke80) It,s been so cold here every thing that I put in garage freezes ( brains,  lye mixture, hides all froze). I,m trying one with eggs just to see if theres any difference. Later Bob

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 07:32:48 pm »
Never experienced a fishy smell from braintan, most of them have a really strong smoke smell that will about stifle you for awhile.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 07:44:30 pm »
even before Smoking...mine always smelt like wet Hide....not Fish....... :-\
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline deersled

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 02:55:51 am »
my wife just hit the nail on the head.......cod liver oil! I probably had em in the brains too long. Its been so stinking cold they sat in the brains in the garage in a cooler for 5-6 days. Let you know what happens when I smoke em. Hides turned out very nice though.

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 06:47:35 pm »
I have left a hide in the brains in cool weather for over a week and it terned out just fine. If you pre-smoke your hides and put a smoked hide into your slurry it will last over a month and you can leave hides in it for over a week.
 Is this the 1st time you have done braintan. A unsmoked hide has a oder it sorta smells like deer hide and brains  ;) I love the smell of braintan if it came in a bottle i would spry it on my girl friend. But after you smoke it, it will just smell smoky.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 08:12:08 pm »
 Jesse, I see a Romantic Night in the makin',  :) Save up all the brains, warm em up and fill a Bath tub full. Candles, Barry Manilow playing in the background, a nice bottle of wine, and you'd be all set, Bud. ;D O:)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 08:27:12 pm »
 ::)
Mililani Hawaii

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 11:56:55 pm »
Deersled, are you sure you scraped the inside of the hide well, removing all the membrane?  Did you grain the hide, scraping all the outer membrane off the hair side of the hide?  Last summer, I was working on 5 hides at a time.  I picked 2 of the better ones to egg tan.  One turned out well.  The first one turned out well.  The second, I got busy and ended up taking it on a camping trip with me wife and 6 other friend.  Well, it smelled like bloated road kill at our campsite.  In my haste, I forgot to do the final scraping/grain.  PEWWEE!
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 06:15:55 am »
I'll let yall know if a week hurts one,I have one I put in the brain Sunday and won't get a chance to work on it much till Friday,I did ring it out Monday and put it back in the Brains.It looked good then. :) It is in some that has already had smoked hides in it and it just smelled like smoke like Jesse
said.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 11:11:51 am »
it will be fine Pappy, It will feel a little slimy when you 1st pull it out of the slurry, thats because it will be so saturated with the slurry once you ring it once it will feel normal.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 10:55:09 am »
Jesse, I see a Romantic Night in the makin',  :) Save up all the brains, warm em up and fill a Bath tub full. Candles, Barry Manilow playing in the background, a nice bottle of wine, and you'd be all set, Bud. ;D O:)

with all due respect, some times i worry about your mental stability.  ::)
lets just shoot it

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 01:16:58 pm »
Recurve, Eddie is a Parker. We don't have this thing you call mental stability. It's a genetic trait. ;D  All I can say is that if you can get her to crawl into a tub of deer brains with you, she's probably a keeper.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 09:55:48 pm »
 Hey, I'm not the one that wanted it for perfume ::) ;D And what Steve said is true :), thanks Cuz. ;)    PS, recurve, you still want me to pay for your dinner Saturday night? ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?