Author Topic: shrub identity help  (Read 2062 times)

Offline KShip85

shrub identity help
« on: January 15, 2010, 01:58:06 am »
Ok, well I was out looking for wood today and noticed this shrub.  Not very tall, maybe 7 feet, with maybe a 5 foot crown, caught my eye as the bark looks somewhat similar to osage.  I cut a small piece, maybe 3 feet long and a little over an inch thick, it has a solid white wood and feels rather dense.  Only have a picture of the bark right now but will try to go and take a picture of the bush tomorrow to give a little better look.  Anyway I was wondering if anyone had any idea what it was, as it is calling out to me to make a short bow from it.  I live in South Central Indiana and it was located in fairly dense woods.  Thanks for any help that can be offered and tomorrow I will try to get a picture of the shrub and wood.

Kip

Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: shrub identity help
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 02:24:03 am »
Pic of the shrub will help. Maybe even one of the branch tips showing the buds along the branch.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hojo

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 08:43:54 am »
Just a guess, but based on where you are, I'll say it is Asian Bush Honeysuckle.  Invasive species in Indiana. Do a search on the net and it should yield plenty of pics and info.

If that is what you have, prior posts on PA have indicated that honeysuckle is weak in tension.  I've got a lighter weight bow in process out of a small stave of it right now, and so far I've not seen the tension problems.  Time---and greater draw length--will tell.

Howard

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 10:52:51 am »
I would guess that Hojo is right, the bark looks like bush honeysuckle. A photo of the shrub and twigs/buds will help us tell you for sure.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline KShip85

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 02:45:56 pm »
Thanks for the help guys, I looked at some Asian bush honeysuckle pics I am almost certain that's what it is.  Since it's invasive to Indiana I went on a campaign against it today and got some short pieces to try something with.  Thanks again!

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline wodpow

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 11:41:06 pm »
Amur honey suckle I made a bow from it and it was light weight when it was dry and shot  arrows ok.   but when it broke it didn't play around about it . Maybe raw hide backing would of helped but I was just messing around and was a make or brake deal and it didn't brake any faster than the rest.  It's kind of like mulberry sapling bows I have made.