Author Topic: glues  (Read 2790 times)

Offline aero86

glues
« on: January 23, 2010, 05:02:06 pm »
what glues do you guys use for all your arrow making needs.  ive seen duco, tightbond, ect...  and where do you get them from, lowes, home depot, walmart..?  gonna start building some bamboo arrows soon, and i wanna have everything ready to go when my supplies get here.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
Re: glues
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 07:51:00 pm »
I use Duco for fletching and installing nocks when I use "store bought" nocks. I tried Bohning Fletch-Tite once and in the cold, the fletching fell right off the arrows. I use Super Glue for points. I tried hot melt glue once and, again, in cold weather the points were falling off. You can get a "slow set" Super Glue that gives you a little time to adjust the point.

Home Depot here does not have Duco. I get it from Ace Hardware.
Living a dream...

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 09:25:05 pm »
                                         Duco...thats the Good Stuff............. >:D......... :P............ ;)...........
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 09:58:40 am »
is the super glue the gel kind?
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 10:06:28 am »
I like super glue gel for fletching, too. The Duco takes too long to set up to suit me. Fletch tape is quick and easy, but sometimes loosens up in really hot or really wet weather. Super glue is also good for sealing wraps. I like five-minute epoxy for putting on field points, it's a lot stronger than hot-melt glue but will still release with heat from a torch.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline aero86

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 11:38:00 am »
cool  looks like ill be getting some super glue gel and some 5 min epoxy soon.  hope the feathers make it quick!

Robert E. Leet

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 07:38:37 pm »
If you wanna go really primitive, you can boil some Knox Gelatinand use hide glue for your sinew wrapping and inserts.  Or make real hide glue.