Author Topic: Pressure flaker  (Read 2225 times)

Offline bigcountry

Pressure flaker
« on: January 18, 2010, 04:36:51 pm »
Making a pressure flaker.  Got a nice antler tine to feed copper thru.  Got some copper from home depot.  Not hardened.

Anyway, I bought some set screws.  Do any of you guys use any kinda insert for the set screws?  Or do you just drill the hole and screw it down?  Does it hold with out a sleeve or anything for long?
Westminster, MD

Offline StevenT

Re: Pressure flaker
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 05:13:10 pm »
I have one that was given to me as a gift so I don't know how old it is... and one that I made this summer. Both have set screw only, no insert. No problems with either one.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 05:58:05 pm »
Never made one from antler only broom handles. I drilled a hole for set screws and tapped em in slowly then twisted a piece of bailing wire around the end real tight. I imagine antler would last a while without an end cap. 
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 07:03:57 pm »
Thanks guys, what does the bailing wire do?  Where do you wrap it?
Westminster, MD

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 10:19:32 pm »
Ya can't do anything in TX without bailing wire and duct tape :D. I whittled a little groove around the flaker pretty close to the end and and twisted the wire around tight to keep the wood from splitting out. Not real fancy but worked for a couple of years.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 10:49:13 am »
Oh I see.  I guess you are putting a lot of pressure on the edge of the wood.  Another reason maybe an antler tine might be stronger.

But thanks for the tip.
Westminster, MD