Author Topic: the mass principle in one sentence  (Read 45873 times)

Offline Gordon

Re: the mass principle in one sentence
« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2010, 09:18:38 pm »
You can think of it as scraping out a certain amount of wood and replacing it with the same mass of OTHER MATERIAL, say bamboo, horn or even fiberglass. For the belly, that other material better be something that has more resistance to compression.

I agree with that characterization. I just don't understand what sort of changes to the wood cells are causing this to happen.

Gordon

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2010, 09:19:19 pm »
I answered that, You make an adjustment for that the same way you make adjustments for many other factors. Thats where experience come in. If you are too lazy t read a chapter I don't really want to deal with you anymore, it is getting rediculous here. Steve

Honestly Steve I don't know why you engaged with this guy for this long in the first place.  He is just looking for someone to argue with but has little to no base of information or experience to argue with
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2010, 09:20:38 pm »
Gotta love a lawyer. Try to make right things wrong and wrong things right. ::)
 It should be pretty clear that even with heat treating you're just turning wood into slightly better wood. Better wood needs less mass to reach a goal.
 You could just rename your heat treated wood.
 I would think you would find that heat treated HHB equals Osage  and Elm equals yew in regards to mass requirement.
 No need to dance around and try to get a guilty verdict as you appear to be doing here.

Offline Badger

« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2010, 09:24:15 pm »
   I was trying to wear him out, LOL, he won! Going to start a new thread just more on a personnal note about the mass theory. Try to explain what was behind it, the motivation etc,

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2010, 09:27:06 pm »
 Pat, I forgot he was a lawyer, ::) I was wondering why this was getting monotonous, and we had to read through so much organic matter.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline scp

« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2010, 09:31:53 pm »
It should be pretty clear that even with heat treating you're just turning wood into slightly better wood. Better wood needs less mass to reach a goal.

Badger said NO to the first sentence. See, above.

As for the second sentence, Badger said, the mass principle assumes for bow making purposes all wood is equal.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2010, 09:34:25 pm »
 Yea, you win, NEXT CASE, YOUR HONOR.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline scp

« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2010, 09:55:34 pm »
I guess Badger has his work cut out to teach the mass principle here. Good luck.

Offline Badger

« Reply #113 on: January 17, 2010, 09:56:36 pm »
   Badger also said we assume it is all equal even though we know it is not. This is your first indication allowances will be used by the bowyer. Quit playing lawyer! steve

Offline scp

« Reply #114 on: January 17, 2010, 10:01:58 pm »
  Badger also said we assume it is all equal even though we know it is not. This is your first indication allowances will be used by the bowyer.

Of course we all know it's not the case, but let's just pretend that we all already know what the mass principle is, shall we?

Offline Gordon

« Reply #115 on: January 17, 2010, 10:03:51 pm »
scp, the base assumption of Steve's theory is that all wood is equal. However, Steve acknowledges that heat treating changes that calculation and that an allowance has to be made. No model can perfectly predict an outcome for something that has as many variables as constructing a bow made of all natural materials. But is seems to be a pretty good approximation and a useful tool for any bowyer who is serious about the performance of their bows.
Gordon

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #116 on: January 17, 2010, 10:11:46 pm »
scp, you've got several world class bowyers on this site. You've got members who have authored articles for archery publications. You've got a couple of world class flight shooters. I wish I had this site when I started breakin' and makin' 20 years ago. I humbly suggest you spend more time picking brains rather than nitpicking. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline scp

« Reply #117 on: January 17, 2010, 10:13:58 pm »
scp, the base assumption of Steve's theory is that all wood is equal. However, Steve acknowledges that heat treating changes that calculation and that an allowance has to be made. No model can perfectly predict an outcome for something that has as many variables as constructing a bow made of all natural materials. But is seems to be a pretty good approximation and a useful tool for any bowyer who is serious about the performance of their bows.

I believe it works. If not, we can always make it work! But we can't do that if we are not willing to think, ask questions, experiment, and communicate. I mostly ask questions.

Offline scp

« Reply #118 on: January 17, 2010, 10:16:24 pm »
Jawge, what makes you think I am not doing exactly what you want me to do? Knowledge mining is never easy and often extremely irritating.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #119 on: January 17, 2010, 10:17:24 pm »

........WHOLLY-WHAH............

Man............I can't beleive that this went on this Long..........and that I stayed out of it too......... ;D....I am impressed.......... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome