Author Topic: Bamboo Arrow vs Plate  (Read 2606 times)

Offline Bushbow

Bamboo Arrow vs Plate
« on: January 13, 2010, 07:08:07 pm »
Having some fun testing the strength of a bamboo arrow. Second part is half speed.  >:D
Too bad I did not hit it dead center.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpReZQYaRG4

Offline SSGN_Doc

Re: Bamboo Arrow vs Plate
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 07:13:06 pm »
Now you can try knapping the broken parts of the plate into arrow heads.

Nice shootin.

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 09:38:56 pm »
I don't understand the point. ???

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 10:32:24 pm »
the point is to be sharp

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 10:45:18 pm »
SSGN Doc That is a good thought, I have never tried making points. I guess Flint knapping may be in the future.

adb The point was to see if the arrow would break, I am new to bamboo arrows and I am testing them for strength compared to wood. So far I am pretty impressed with bamboo. Also, I think it is amusing to watch, but that is subjective, and may be of little interest to others.

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 03:23:53 am »
SSGN Doc That is a good thought, I have never tried making points. I guess Flint knapping may be in the future.

adb The point was to see if the arrow would break, I am new to bamboo arrows and I am testing them for strength compared to wood. So far I am pretty impressed with bamboo. Also, I think it is amusing to watch, but that is subjective, and may be of little interest to others.

should someone give him a tip on his points?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 09:12:10 pm »
 I have one of Art Butners arrows I hit an oak tree in a 3-D shoot a few years ago and split it 3 ways in front of the fletching. I shot it into 4 more targets before somebody realized it was split. I just picked the same arrow up 2 weeks ago and was shooting a bow in before I realized it was the same broken arrow. I shot it about 20 times before I felt the splits. I have another one I purposely shot into Pappy's steel fox target to see how it would hold up. It was Tonkin and split behind the point, that was all it did. Tonkin, bamboo, and cane is very tough and forgiving.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 11:43:11 pm »
agreed the only cane arrows i've lost were just that. lost.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 02:05:39 am »
A year ago just after I finished my first bow ( not a very good one), I was target practicing with some cane tomato stake arrows.  I had made deer antler buttons as blunts.  I missed the foam and hit a metal trailer the target was leaned against.  The antler button shattered but the arrow was unhurt.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw