Author Topic: Lets see your redo bows  (Read 3515 times)

Offline Jesse

Lets see your redo bows
« on: January 14, 2010, 05:32:25 pm »
I have re done a few and this one I just did. I wasn't happy with the stain job or the finish. too dark and shinny and I believe it cost me a shot this season due to that so I made it a bit more natural and put a dull finish on it. I also didnt like how fat the tips were at 3/8" so I took them down to 1/4" which I like much better and also reshaped the handle and cut a deeper shelf. The tiller was already good and it shot really good just a few things that bugged me ;D Lets see yours

"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Jesse

Re: Lets see your redo bows
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 05:43:33 pm »
Forgot to mention this was one of David Knights blanks. If it wasnt obvious :)
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Jesse

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 10:40:49 pm »
Oh come on. Nobody has re worked a bow and taken pictures? Not even one reply  ???   :)
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 11:58:32 pm »
Here's my Hickory backed Yew: First posted in 2007. Bow was quite sluggish.  Reheated and straightened recurve. Also added Rattlesnake skin 2009.

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 12:09:42 am »
Well I don't know what ya'll started with...But the end products are super sharp!
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 12:11:14 am »
Yeah, I've redone a few myself. I suppose the most recent would be this one... re tillered from 70# to 60#,snakeskins, new grip. Hickory backed osage, 62" ntn.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 12:32:05 am »
Don I remember that bow I think. Looks great
Adb that looks really good.   
Funny how When I first finish a bow I just love it and then a few months later I start seeing things i could have done better. Most of the time I just leave it but once in a while its really worth messing with it.
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 12:58:25 am »
Those all look great!  Here's an old lemonwood bow that I did for a friend this summer.  I didn't care for the jumbo, pre-fab horn nocks that I was given to replace the broken ones, but they were already bought just for this bow.  Beyond that, it turned out nice and I got a 60+ yr old bow shooting again.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFCc3_Lk_HY

« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 01:03:24 am by Alpinbogen »

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 04:16:14 am »
Jesse, I love the tip!!!!

Here is one I reworked this year: it was a light draw hickory-backed hickory I had made to give people to try doing their first shots. When I gave it to one of my music students the tiller flipped after she shot it for a while. (no idea why that happend!? - the bow was overbuild and shot in well at that time).
I retillered it, narrowed the tips A LOT, put on a new finish and handle and a FF string. First shot after the redo I knew she would not give it back anymore. It still is great fun seeing her with the bow; seems like a perfect match...

« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 06:08:29 am by medicinewheel »
Frank from Germany...

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 10:02:25 am »
I've ruined a couple of bows in the past from "fiddling," thinkng I could make it just a little bit better. I've learned when enough is enough, and adopted the mantra: perfecton is the enemy of good.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 04:21:37 pm »
I've ruined a couple of bows in the past from "fiddling," thinkng I could make it just a little bit better. I've learned when enough is enough, and adopted the mantra: perfecton is the enemy of good.
Yeah I hear ya. Sometimes its best to leave well enough alone :)
Frank that bow looks great. Looks like she likes it as well
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 11:05:35 pm »
Jesse
I redid the first bow I made.  It was a poorly tillered overweight osage longbow that I made from a blank from Gary Davis.  Great blank, poor execution. ;)    I cut it down, reduced the weight, flipped the tips, put on overlays and snakeskins. It came out really nice.   I gave it away last summer so I can't put up a pic.  But I did post it about 2 yrs back or so.
Traverse City, MI

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 10:43:39 am »
I "redid" the first bow I ever made , also. Hickory backed ipe. I ended up ruining it. I added some tip overlays, did it wrong, and blew both tips off on the first draw.  :P