Author Topic: Elm Static Recurve  (Read 16966 times)

Offline juniper junkie

Re: Elm Static Recurve
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 12:45:56 am »
that is one fine bow, good job as usual. I have trouble making recurves because of tip alignment, do you have a trick to getting the tips aligned? I always seem to get a twist.  love the full draw pic, incredible bend, but is that a aluminum arrow???? ???

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 12:53:11 am »
Marc, that's a beauty! Very nicely done. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 01:31:08 am »
That's another beautiful bow Marc.  You get an amazing amount of bend out of that heat treated elm.  Do you think it's a variety of red, or grey elm, or some hybrid?  I never learned much about the different species.  Where I grew up in Vermont, we were at enough elevation to be just outside the range of anything but white elm, and all the big ones died out in the mid 80s.  I probably had red elm on my property in the Champlain Islsnds and didn't know it.  I just remember the heartwood was pretty dark on alot of the standing dead ones I used for firewood.  I had a beautiful 4 acre stand of white ash with elms scattered through it.  Wish I had never sold it now, but I wasn't making bows back then.  20-20 hindsight strikes again.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 03:49:30 am »
That's another great bow Mark!
Would you show us how you do these handle splices??
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 06:35:12 am »
Beautiful bow Marc,very well done as usuall.I love you bows. :) He should love that,bet it will fling an arrow. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 10:59:27 am »
Thanks again guys

A book may be a future project, I just don't have the time right now.

J J.  Leave the tips wide at first and use heat to tweak alignment.  I have marks on the aluminum arrow indicating draw length and its full length is 32".  Works well for tillering

Jude.  There's actually no such species as Red or Grey Elm.  Those are just trade names.  There's American, Slippery, Rock, Winged plus a couple more

Frank.  I did write an article on these splices.  It's 3 or 4 issues back
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 11:47:49 am »
That is a very nice bow there Marc, your work is so inspiring.  I am currently working on a hickory backed red oak deflex recurve similar in design and inspired by your bows and if it turns out HALF as good as this one I would be very very happy!  ;D  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 01:22:29 pm »
I love it ! I'm going to have to shoot one of those someday Marc.  I'm working on a D/R osage self bow right now myself. I'm loving this type of design. Whats the chances of you comming to the T classic some day?  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 01:32:12 pm »
 That is an awsome looking bow and design, Mark. I'd love to chrono a carbon arrow out of it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 01:56:17 pm »
This is a gorgeous shape. You are the only one I've seen who can develop it so well. I'd be inclined to call it a "Magnum Recurve"
Bookmarked under January Self Bows, too, for BOM
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2010, 02:40:35 pm »
Another nice bow Marc. I've been seeing your bows for a while now and each time , I think wow I'm gonna make one of those ( or try at least!!) They look to me like some of the fastest wooden bows around. I have one question, do you think the life span of these bows is the same as none heat treated bows , all else being equal? you should have a good idea by now? There is a lot of small diameter elm around here for me to try,not sure how hard it is though? I think the hardest over here is wych elm, but like you say its hard to distinguish all the sub-species.
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline barebo

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2010, 03:33:24 pm »
I can only echo everyone else's response - simply beautiful in every respect !!! The profile is what I dream about being able to attain someday. WOW!!!!

Offline Barrage

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2010, 04:02:56 pm »
Dido on the book... ;)

Not much else to say that hasn't been already; another great one.  Like the triangle at brace - looks egyptian!
Travis

Offline snedeker

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2010, 04:48:14 pm »
Having all those heated in curves match up in alignment is an accomplishment I can really appreciate.  Pretty amazing.

Dave

Rich Saffold

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2010, 04:59:23 pm »
Anyone who says white woods can't make an insanely fast bow obviously hasn't seen or shot one of Marc's creations.. I have  ;D, and what I really like about this one is the shape of the handle section.. Very cool...

Rich