Author Topic: HELP !!!! - Tru Oil on My New Ipe WON'T DRY !!!???  (Read 16276 times)

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
Re: HELP !!!! - Tru Oil on My New Ipe WON'T DRY !!!???
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2010, 01:07:32 am »
I boil the soybean oil myself.  I just pour a whole bottle into a large pot, open the doors and windows, make sure the fire extinguisher is handy just in case, and heat it till it smokes.  I got the idea partly from seasoning cast iron pots; if you lay the oil on heavy, and bake at 400 deg for an hour, the pot comes out with a coat of varnish.  Then I learned that most of the printing ink in use today is soy based as well.  Soybean polymerizes when heated, just like linseed.  Other non-spoiling oils like walnut and olive work, as does animal fat, but they don't dry to a varnish.  Soybean will go rancid if exposed to air for long periods, but the fact that the boiled stuff dries, keeps that from being a problem.   Incidently, I set it with a heat gun after I rub it in, just like I do linseed, otherwise, theres a lot of hand rubbing involved to generate the heat needed to set it.  One day I'll try it with a setting agent and see how that works.  I currently use a paste of boiled soybean and beeswax as a periodic top coat for just about everything, wood, leather, steel etc.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Rich Saffold

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2010, 01:23:15 am »
Walnut oil is used in cooking and salads so like mineral oil is both safe and consumable..probably tastes better than mineral oil  ;D,and I bet looks looks about the same when applied.

I was told tonight that grape seed oil is becoming another popular finish.  

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2010, 04:21:32 am »
Man ...I bet ya gotta kill a bunch of Grapes for that there Oil....... >:D...and who says that Linseed Oil stinks..... ???...... I love the Smell of it...and love setting it with just my Bare Hands...and a lot of rubbing too...maybe I am messed up...but I never thought that Linseed Oil stunk.....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline barebo

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2010, 06:41:52 am »
Well...........on a positive note, the Ipe belly has finally dried well, and the grip area should be ready for it's wrap by tomorrow !!
Million dollar question for me now is: do I want to risk putting an additional coat on to bring out more lustre, or is it sealed well enough, and should I call it good ?? If the base coat has hardened off, and I reapply more Tru Oil, will the remaining oils leach out and attack the "new" coat. I'll try for pics tomorrow.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2010, 12:10:19 pm »
Once the first layer is dry...you should have no trouble with additional coats.....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome