Author Topic: Points for Turkey?  (Read 5401 times)

coyote pup

Points for Turkey?
« on: December 21, 2009, 12:06:29 pm »
I was thinking of trying to stick a "put-put" this spring and I was wondering. What kind of point is best to use? What has worked best for you guys that hunt turkeys?

Thanks

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Points for Turkey?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 12:32:37 pm »
I just use a good sharp 2 blade broad head. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 04:33:23 pm »
 I used a stone point.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 08:03:47 pm »
hell ive used 7/8ths wide broadheads and even the 4" gobbler guillotine blades
cant use stone here

sharp blades,very sharp blades but remember more than anything shot placement is very criticle with turkeys
thier vital are is very small,roughly the size of a golf ball.
head/neck shots make for less wounded birds running around(thats all i take anymore)
if you can get them walking away from you,you can shoot them in the back and hope to spine them
i avoid side shots thru the wings with a bow.them wings are like armour.they can stop all kinds of stuff.
i shot one this year with my 12 ga at 13 yds,found bb's caught in the wing feathers.that was a 3" turkey mag too.

goodluck chasing them buzzards :)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 08:15:02 pm »
Tim, I wouldn't want to try grabbing one flapping and flipping with a sharp broadhead hanging out. I got lucky when I hit mine. I cut the main artery coming from the heart, but he still flew 25,30 yards and walked around for about 5 minutes before he fell over. I shot a turkey last year with #6 shot. When I cleaned it I couldn't believe all the different size shot stuck under it's skin from previous hunters.
Lakeland, Florida

coyote pup

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 09:59:54 am »
Yep. I've heard all kinds of amazing stories about how they were able to take a hit and keep on a truckin' (or flyin' as the case may be).  So I wanted to ask and see what kinds of points were tried and true. I guess it ain't so much the point as the shot placement, which actually I'm glad to hear. I'd hate to gimp one up in the wing. It's reassuring to know that it's pretty much an all-or-nothing at the base of the neck or just below.

I'm looking forward to trying my skill against the tasty buzzard. It'll be my first time going out for him. Thanks for all the replies  ;)

Yote Pup

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 01:08:23 pm »
 A shot through the hips or legs will work, too. They have to be able to run before they can take off flying. So, while they are flopping, you can beat them with your bow. ;D
Lakeland, Florida

coyote pup

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 03:05:28 pm »
Yeah, that'd work too!  ;D    I'm not sure how they did it, and why the turkeys didn't fly away, but in Geronimo's book "In His Own Words" he says that they used to round turkeys up on horseback and just club them - no shooting involved.  ???   Kind of sounds like that method  ;)

Offline billy

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 12:38:00 am »
HEy Coyote,

I killed a gobbler back in april 2007 with my bow, and I used a stone point.  When the turkey came in, I aimed for a spot where 2 different feather types formed a "V", and I aimed for the point of the V.  It was broadside, but it was low, just below the wing but above the drumstick.  The stone point missed the lungs (it was too far back) but it severed a major artery.  that bird only ran 40 feet, stopped, sat down in the grass, and died.  I was absolutely amazed at how fast that stone point killed that bird. 

I agree with what others have said here....don't shoot a turkey in the wing, especially with a stone point.  Those wings are like damn armor, and  their bones are surprisingly heavy and stout in the wing.  Aim for just under the wing, and a broadhead or stone point should be effective. 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 04:34:34 pm »
  I've shot 3 with knapped points Imade but I use zwicky 2 blades.The same set up as I se for deer.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 07:09:08 pm »
How about expoding tips? Something that when it goes off the bird turns to mist. LOL, Sounds like tough birds.
VB

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 08:28:03 pm »
Heres a few pictures my sister-in-law took in her yard. Turkeys are tough as all I can figure is he got that stick stuck in him while fighting. The stick eventually worked its way out and he lived just fine through it all.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline sailordad

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 08:33:27 pm »
yup,if its just in the breast meat then it dont really do much to them
not much blood flow thru there,once the muscle heals back up they are fine
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 04:16:36 pm »