Author Topic: I.D. a few??  (Read 2415 times)

Offline aero86

I.D. a few??
« on: January 12, 2010, 06:13:46 pm »
so there was a thread started a few days ago, and i wanted to check to see if i was indeed using privet.  so i had some time during work test driving a car and i saw a stand.  so i took some pictures.  while listening for suspension noises on a back road, i saw a few others that i want to identify..

first the "privet"?

i assume this is wild rose?  looks like a rose bush to me.  you can see the two long straight branches, they have thorns.

and this one i stumbled upon, has smaller broad leaves.  maybe 2-3 times the size of the "privet" i have picture at first.  looked straight

profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline aero86

Re: I.D. a few??
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 08:55:23 pm »
well, i went back after work to snag a piece of that stuff i thought was wild rose.  the core of it is pithy, white and soft..  so i dont know what it is.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 09:17:49 pm »
That is a wild rose and they have a pithy center but make hard hitting arrows. George may have directions on his site about rose arrows. I do know that you don't want to strip the bark on rose immediately because they will surely check. Also, be sure you get second year growth. The newer, green shoots are too young this year but will be good next winter. If you plan ahead you can have a constant supply of good rose shoots for arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 11:20:59 pm »
well, i may have to search around some.  the one i got was pretty long.  hopefully he will come around about how to handle them.  i havent even pulled the barbs off it yet!  and after searching ive figured some things out, but when to pull the barbs off and how to tell on the wild rose if its second year or not?  does it branch off like regular tree wood?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 11:28:55 pm by aero86 »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 01:19:44 am »
Yes. Small branches where last years leaves were.  Use good leather gloves when you deal with wild rose. They will eat you up. :o  I remove the thorns as soon as I cut then. They break off pretty easily. Bundle the rose canes together and place them in a dry area. You can do a little hand straightening every few days and get them pretty straight while they dry but rebundle when the straightening session is over.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC