Author Topic: Hickory Bow (not for BOM)  (Read 6954 times)

Offline gmc

Hickory Bow (not for BOM)
« on: January 10, 2010, 07:28:23 pm »
Here is some pictures of my latest creation started a couple months ago and just now just finishing up. I took some pictures along the way, probally too many.....The bow is made from Pignut Hickory 57'' inches ntn, pulling 58lbs. @ 28 inches. It might be 1 3/8 wide off the handle. Just an awesome piece of wood holding most of its reflex, first timer for me using Hickory. This was one twisted up, bowed piece of wood that I got tired of moving around in the wood rack. It took two steam sessions and some dry heat just to straighten it out enough to start on it. Things got a little hairy at the end but I made it through. Thanks for looking.

Central Kentucky

Offline gmc

Re: Hickory Bow (not for BOM)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 07:31:50 pm »

Central Kentucky

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 07:43:36 pm »
Thats a fine looking bow and at 28" draw it looks to be maxed out, well done :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline NTD

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 07:47:34 pm »
sweet sweet bow!  Great job!  I like the subtle dress up of it as well.

Nate
Nate Danforth

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 08:10:50 pm »
 Gmc, That is a very nice bow! Any bow that can pull off a 28" draw and still have a little reflex is exceptional.  Takes great tillering skill to do that.  Love the horse hair accents.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 08:16:27 pm »
   Nice little Bow...Tiller looks spot on....bet that Swishing Sound of Horse Hair will keep da Flies away....and maybe da Deer too......... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline gmc

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 08:25:58 pm »
Thanks NTD, I've been wanting to dress one up a little for awhile.

Thanks Scott, yeah it does hit hard. I flipped the tips up a little and its like a cam letting off after 24inches, just when it feels like it's going to stack it pulls on back nicely to 28 inches.

Thanks Dana, the length for this particular bow seem to work out just right but this was a really tension strong stave.

Thanks Keenan for the kind comment. I'd love to blame it all on my tillering skills but this piece of wood wanted to be a bow. I've made several bows from this same tree and none performed like this stave. I'd certainly like to understand it more. I think next time that I might mark the sides of the tree before I cut it down might help. Its a bit confusing, but darn this was one fun piece of wood to work with, very tension strong.

El Destructo:
Those are modified limb silencers . Same principle as adding fur to the string, but I took it a bit further to the limb. The thing is deadly silent on release.  ;) Thanks for the nice comment on the bow and thanks for the ideas on the pin nocks the other day. All you need now is some horse hair and you are ready.  ;D
Central Kentucky

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 08:35:03 pm »
                      Am I ready?? I have been using it for Years on my Ojibwa and Pottawattami  Bows...so there......... >:D

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline gmc

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 08:40:18 pm »
                      Am I ready?? I have been using it for Years on my Ojibwa and Pottawattami  Bows...so there......... >:D

I should have known, yeah, I'd say you're ready. Post the rest of that baby and lets take a look at it.
Central Kentucky

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 08:42:04 pm »

I should have known, yeah, I'd say you're ready. Post the rest of that baby and lets take a look at it.

Shhhhhh ....Trade Secret....might get stolen and sold Overseas.......... >:D
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 08:45:41 pm »
Who'd ya scalp for dem tassels Mike :P
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline gmc

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 08:46:15 pm »
That bow looks great El. What did you do for the handle?
Central Kentucky

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 08:47:37 pm »
Dana....da Neighbor Quarterhorse...has a much shorter Mane now than it did last Spring......... ;D

the Handle on this one is made from Tanned Deer Skin
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 09:09:15 pm »
Great looking bow gmc.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline woodstick

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 09:36:40 pm »
good looking bow.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken