Author Topic: 2nd BBI  (Read 10056 times)

Offline NTD

2nd BBI
« on: January 10, 2010, 05:56:26 pm »
Alright, I finished this bow before Mackenzie was born but didn't have time to post pics.  You guys helped me out on the tiller with this and I messed with it as much as I dared.  I'm still not entirely happy with it but it'll do. 

It is 67" total length 66"ntn.  It draws 55lbs @ 29".  Tip overlays are Ipe as well.  Ipe is from a store here called Woodworker's Source and the Boo from the great KnightD   (the arrows were also made from tonkin I received from David)  It is skinned with an albino reticulated python.  Sorry MedicineWheel, in hindsight I should have traded with you...you probably would have done the skin justice.  I glued in 3 inches of reflex...it's pipe straight after being shot and relaxes to about 3/4" reflex after sitting for awhile.

All in all it is a nice bow it's fast and shoots nice.  I'm hooked on the Ipe and Boo combo unfortunately my local source is down to a few boards and they are all knotty.  I have one more board and piece of boo so the next try is going to be a R/D...now that I've got a BBI in hand I think I have the nerve to start one of those. 

Oh yeah almost forgot...I cheated on my handle wrap...it's a tennis handle replacement wrap with a self adhesive...but it is LEATHER!  ;D

Nate Danforth 
Nate Danforth

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: 2nd BBI
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 06:07:45 pm »
It looks really good Nate. The tiller is great. I can't hardly believe that had 3" of reflex. I dont think I loose more than 1/2" of reflex on any of my Ipe bows.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline NTD

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 06:11:44 pm »
Thanks Justin!  You are right though...I had it glued up on 3 inch blocks it didn't take 3" of reflex...I phrased that wrong...it probably only had 1 1/2 inches or so of reflex off the form... my bad  ;)

Nate
Nate Danforth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 06:26:51 pm »
Very nice Nate. Tiller is spot on!  My only suggestion would be to round off the corners(edges) a bit more.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 08:06:24 pm »
Very sweet bow Nate, That is a nice straight unbraced profile and tiller looks dead on. Congratulations

Offline NTD

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 08:34:15 pm »
Thanks guys!  Pat, I'll keep the rounding mantra in my head on the next one...I always round them a bit but get nervous getting too agressive.  I do most of the round when I'm near my length and weight and I'm always worried I'll come in under weight.  I round a little and burnish the hell out of them...don't know if that helps any  :-\

Nate
Nate Danforth

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 08:44:25 pm »
Looks nice Nate....I like the Backyard Shots....wish we had Cactus like that......... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline NTD

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 09:02:11 pm »
Thanks Mike,  I love the saguaros...I actually live right near the saguaro natonal forest too...got lots of them.  And if you notice you can't see any neighbors in the back yard that's why I moved to this side of Tucson...I have the Tucson Mts between me and the city so I can even see the stars at night.  I've only got an acre but with all the county, state and federal land around me it seems like more.
Nate Danforth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 09:37:59 pm »
Nate, those edges generally can be rounded with little if any draw weight loss. They are basically dead weight. Less chance of a splinter lifting too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline woodstick

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 09:38:44 pm »
very nice bow and the skins look real good.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Rich Saffold

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 09:47:14 pm »
Nate,

Your bow looks good real good, and the skin is a nice touch as well.  Did you eat it?  I had to laugh when you said you cheated on your handle wrap..I figured you had one of Tiger's 9-Irons ;).

That is a  great location where  you are at, and I'm sure watching the lights in the sky there can be rather interesting.. ;) I too love the desert and live at the western edge..

Rich

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 07:23:30 am »
Nice bow,looks great to me,Should be a shooter. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 09:41:42 am »
Great lookin bow Nate.
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 10:24:56 am »
Great looking bow, and I love the arrows too!  I know how much work those shafts can be, but they're worth it.  Nice work! :)
south central VA

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 10:56:27 pm »
Excellent bow! Looking forward to seeing this one again at the end of the month. Thanks for the great pics and the pics of the saguaro!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday