Author Topic: Estimating draw strength without scale  (Read 3654 times)

Offline Dane

Estimating draw strength without scale
« on: January 13, 2010, 05:15:41 pm »
I hope this is a simple question, but they often aren't :)

An upcoming problem I am going to have is estimating draw weight when you pass the maximum weight your scale can show.

I don't recall, but may be wrong, that there is a formula one can use for this situation, if you at least know a draw weight at a certain draw length, but then run out of little numbers for weight, ie max out your scale.

Hope that makes sense,

thanks,

Dane

Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Estimating draw strength without scale
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 05:39:44 pm »
3 # per inch will get you in the general area. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 06:14:14 pm »
What does your scale read up to?
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 06:14:51 pm »
As Jawge said about 3 pounds per inch of draw. You can fine tune that number by running your own chart and see what it's gaining per inch up to that point.  I have found that the shorter 60" and less tend to build a bit faster at about 3.5-4 pounds an inch.

Ps.  Sometimes the poundage drops drastically (about a millisecond) before the tip hits me in the head.  ;D >:D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 06:18:53 pm by Keenan »

Offline Dane

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 06:50:27 pm »
Marc, I have the Pelouze 110# scale. I think I got it through 3 Rivers. This is for the gastrophetes machine. I'm targeting 200# for that project. Since I want it to draw that weight for a 12" bolt / arrow and I plan to brace the bow at the standard 6", where would I be when I max out the 110# scale? The bow will be made from hickory, and sinewed. One recommendation is a 36" bow, about 2" wide at the center.

Keenan, George, thanks, 3# per inch - that is the figure I couldn't remember. Thanks.

Dane

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 07:00:34 pm »
Dane,

if you used pulleys you could double the reading so your scale could be used for 220 lb.

The bow string would need to be attached through a pulley such that on one are of the string through the pulley is the scale and the other is used to apply the force,  preferably pulling through another pulley for the change of direction. The draw stroke of the strings through the pulleys will be twice the drawn length of the bow string. Each string in the pulley will take half the thrust.

Craig.

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 09:03:39 pm »
Yes!  Like Craig said!  I took the liberty of making a crap- drawing, which photobucket downgraded to make  ultra-crap-.   ;D  Anyways, without further ado, I present:

(Not to scale)  ;)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 02:23:00 am by Justin Snyder »
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dane

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 09:25:41 pm »
Zen, I am going to print out that awesome picture and put it in my workshop. You made it totally clear, too. Thanks so much. And thanks for the laugh.

Dane

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 09:30:28 pm »
Just happy to contribute!   ;D
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 09:40:27 pm »
Marc, I have the Pelouze 110# scale. I think I got it through 3 Rivers. This is for the gastrophetes machine. I'm targeting 200# for that project. Since I want it to draw that weight for a 12" bolt / arrow and I plan to brace the bow at the standard 6", where would I be when I max out the 110# scale? The bow will be made from hickory, and sinewed. One recommendation is a 36" bow, about 2" wide at the center.

Keenan, George, thanks, 3# per inch - that is the figure I couldn't remember. Thanks.

Dane

If you are pinning a 110# scale then the increase/inch is more than 3#/inch.  Heavy draw weight bows can have an increase of more than 5#/inch towards the end of the draw
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 01:03:47 am »
Zen

what a great drawing, thanks

Craig.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 02:25:43 am »

Dane

If you are pinning a 110# scale then the increase/inch is more than 3#/inch.  Heavy draw weight bows can have an increase of more than 5#/inch towards the end of the draw

What Marc said, Ill bet it is closer to 7 pounds per inch when you get close to 200lb.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Dane

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 07:23:34 am »
Thanks for the help, Marc and Justin.

Dane