Author Topic: Board bow questions....  (Read 1192 times)

Offline Aries

Board bow questions....
« on: January 13, 2010, 06:37:34 pm »
So i've been teaching a couple of friends about making bows. they have just recently finished their first bows. osage self bows... They saw the red oak homle board bow that i made for hickoryswitch (in the Christmas trade) and got interested in making one.  I didnt have any boards on hand when  describe the way the growth rings should run on a board bow.  One of my aspiring bowyers who works in a cabinet shop proceeded to gather about 125$ (he got it for free i might add::)) worth of high quality oak from his work all of which has growth rings that go from left to right, such as on a normal self bow... should I have him take these back to his work and try to swap them out for belly to back wood. or can we pull a bow out of these boards?    Thanks guys.. Ty
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 06:43:42 pm by Aries »
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

half eye

Re: Board bow questions....
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 06:49:07 pm »
Aries,
      Those boards should be OK if you guys back them (linen or wood) then cut them out...been alot of good bows made that way. I feel alot safer with the grain back to belly but that is for self bows. Personally I think if you backed 'em it would be an insurance policy so that the new guys get a bow....they can allways get "froggy" after they amde a few.
       A backed board bow is a good solid tool....maybe just give the guys a little insurance the first time out. If that fits into your teaching "comfrt" zone......glad to see you helping others along the way, good for you!
half eye ;)