Author Topic: Building draw length  (Read 7245 times)

Offline Little John

Building draw length
« on: January 10, 2010, 12:10:20 pm »
After reading the how long is your draw post I thought I would throw this out there. I can draw 24" or 29" with the same anchor point (corner of my mouth) and it all depends if I am using my back properly. Kegan stated in the other post that he started shooting much better when his draw was lengthened and I agree. Any way any time I am unhappy with my shooting I start drawing deeply with my back(same anchor point) this gives me a longer draw, faster arrow, and a much smoother release, and much better groups. Whenever I get sloppy and lazy again with out pulling deeply with my back the poor shooting returns, nice thing is that it is easy to fix again. In the book Hitting them like Howard Hill, the deep draw is one of the things most stressed. Does any one find this to be true.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Building draw length
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 02:23:59 pm »
Kenneth, I like to open my draw up by pulling through using my back. When I went to the Tennessee Classic and saw people hunched over their bows shooting it was new to me. I tried to change my style to match them more, but it didn't work for me.  I line up my bow hand, draw hand, and back elbow in a straight line and can get nearly 30". I know my style is more like traditional target shooters, but if it works for them in competition, why not for me in target and hunting. If I really want to stretch it out, I can get 31", but I usually just try to open up and get to a straight line and find my consistent comfortable spot. I can also hold this draw for a lot longer if need be.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Little John

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 03:10:23 pm »
Yep Justin that is exzactly what I mean.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 05:20:30 pm »
I learned the looser style from Instinctive Shooting, by G. Fred Asbell when I first started and have been comfortable with it since. Occasionally I will try to draw and add my back muscles but the last time I did, this happened..... :o

it was late one night and Even Williams was helping! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 05:47:38 pm »
Ouch

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 06:25:03 pm »
Pat, do I need to make you a bow with a MAN's draw length?  O:)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 06:45:24 pm »
I built that yew war bow(95#@30") a few years ago but couldn't pull it past 12"  ;D   so I gave it back to James Parker. He gave me the stave.
...and that's not a no to your question!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 07:07:27 pm »
"Proper form" is the style used where you use your biomechanical alignment to do the least work but get the most consistency. Oddly enough, by simply finding the right draw length, you can usually getpretty good alignment, with a few little things here and there left over. Before lengthening my draw, I worried about how much my elbow was bent, the alignment of my drawing arm, wrist postition, grip, alignment, etc. etc. etc. As soon as I started stretching, 90% of the cleared right up- and more than just improving my accuracy, I began improving the comfort of each shot and every shooting session :)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 12:38:08 pm »
I'm the opposite-I can draw 28 or 29", but can't hit the broad side of a barn and don't feel natural shooting that way. About a 26" draw is what feels right to me and gives me more accuracy -at least I can hit the narrow side of a barn. ;D.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 01:14:09 pm »
 I'm more comfortable with a longer draw length. I usually pull to an anchor point and just before I release pull back some more with my upper back shoulder muscles. I tend to release early and have an inconsistent anchor point when I hunch over or short draw.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 01:17:07 pm »
Eddie, your draw length is almost war bow like! You have the longest draw for your size than anyone else I know. It's amazing how different we all are.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 11:29:47 am »
    Anyone with those long draw leanths are standing staight up locking there elbos like compound shooters.The proper way to shoot selfbow [instinive] is bent into your stance with a bent elbo.Useing you back at the end of your draw at release.Not that this is right for everyone has to work into their own system.But shooting instinive with locked elbo won't work.War bow,compound or sites yes.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 01:24:08 pm »
    Anyone with those long draw leanths are standing staight up locking there elbos like compound shooters.The proper way to shoot selfbow [instinive] is bent into your stance with a bent elbo.Useing you back at the end of your draw at release.Not that this is right for everyone has to work into their own system.But shooting instinive with locked elbo won't work.War bow,compound or sites yes.
The proper way is what works best for the shooter. Be careful saying it wont work, because it works for me. It isn't my preferred meathod, but it does work.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 01:35:46 pm »
 I don't lock my elbow, crookedarrow, go back and look at my full draw pictures.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 02:13:20 pm »
Only Olympic FITA shooters actually lock their elbow. Even target shooters don't. That slight bend, what's your natural extension when you shoot straight, helps prevent injury.

But a purposefully bent elbow is inefficient, inconsistent, and therefore much harder. So far, the number of good bent arm shooters can be counted on one hand.

Heck, even though it's bad (straight elbow), G. Fred Asbell shoots his recurves that way. DUnno if he does anymore, but he certainly did in his books/video.