Author Topic: Tiller Help on BBI R&D  (Read 6425 times)

vtclimber

Tiller Help on BBI R&D
« on: January 09, 2010, 05:57:19 pm »
Afternoon all. I am working on a BBI R&D, and hoping I can get (some much needed) advice on how to finish tillering. It looks like the right limb needs to bend a bit more in the last 2/3's, but I am not sure since it is an R&D.......Ay rate, advice is welcomed! Right now it is at 22" and pulling ~55#. I'd like to keep that weight and get it to about 28"...

Not the best tillering tree, but it is too damn cold to head into the shop lol.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Tiller Help on BBI R&D
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 06:11:53 pm »
I would try and get more wood moving from Mid-Limb out to the final third...but then Thats just Me...I am sure that there are others out there with more expertise with R? Bows that will chime in....But to Me it looks like the Wood is working way too hard right out of the Fades to Mid Limb

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

vtclimber

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 06:16:37 pm »
Thanks ElD. I was not/am not (?) sure if R&D's follow that elliptical pattern. I was thinking a bit more from mid limb out, but figured I would get some other opinions.

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 06:25:40 pm »
I would also get the mid & outer limbs working more.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 06:27:11 pm »
Yeah....an Unbraced would help a bunch too.....I know that the last third of the Limbs do not bend like a Longbow....but the first two thirds should.. profile should almost look like a Mollegabet/Holmegaard Bow does....I know that Eddie parker...David Knight....and a bunch more have better input on this since they all have made or built R/D Laminated Bows before...I only have done R/D Staves........ :-[
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

vtclimber

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 06:30:57 pm »
Here is an unbraced pic. I got the boo and ipe from David. That stuff is tough.....and the splinters SUCK!!

half eye

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 06:32:10 pm »
took the liberty of throwing a line on one of your pics....to me it looks like the left limb is stiff where I put the blue line out toward the tip....if you compare that to the right limb you can see how much difference there is (distance under the string).....also in my experience as you even out the tiller (limb to limb) the weight will actually come up a little.....because the weaker limb was getting you back to the 20" by working mostly in one area only....whereas as the limbs even out they whole things got to work....just one old mans opinion.
half eye ;)

vtclimber

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 06:36:09 pm »
Thanks half eye. I actually have a mark on each limb measured 16 inches from the nocks. At low brace, the difference between the distances is 1/16th of an inch. I had thought the upper limb (limb on right in the first pictures) was stiff through the reflex.....

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 06:53:07 pm »
I think the tiller is pretty dang close. The braced pic still has reflex, so it should never get to eliptical shape.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

vtclimber

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 06:55:20 pm »
Justin - So to bring it down to weight at 28" should I work the whole limbs evenly, or just focus on the last 2/3 - 3/4?

vtclimber

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 07:10:33 pm »
Scott....so would I take off the left right at the fade to get em even and then work the limbs out?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 10:29:31 pm »
It would be a lot easier to see if you would take all of the pictures on the floor like the drawn pictures. A consistent background helps a lot.
I might hit the whole limb 2 times then the outer 2/3 once.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

vtclimber

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 01:22:22 am »
Justin - I'll try to get some with a consistent background tomorrow. I am trying now to keep basically the same tiller and get it down to weight at 3" under my draw length...

Rich Saffold

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 02:19:24 am »
Like Justin said you are very close on your bow, and its only a few scrapes from being ideal.

One trick I teach folks on these bows is how to sight down the limbs when its strung and push on the string so you can look down the limb from the grip section and see where the limb moves and where it doesn't.  This perspective amplifies the flat spots in the tiller and then you can flip the bow and see the other side..

Like mentioned you will see that your limbs bend too much outside the grip and more movement is needed in the middle, but how much is needed is why I hope you try this.. No two of these r/d curves will look "identical" but very close and how the limbs work by themselves and together should be determined more by how the bow shoots and the set it hold, and not purely by how it "looks".

Make sure to have safety glasses or goggles on.. Every "renown" bowyer I have seen does this trick and this goes back decades..but most never mention it..(gee I wonder why? ;) )

Rich-tips you won't find elsewhere

vtclimber

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 12:19:33 pm »
Rich, thanks for the insight. I will get back on it once I get another cup of coffee in me..