Author Topic: board woods  (Read 5680 times)

Offline Frode

board woods
« on: January 08, 2010, 10:37:34 pm »
Hi all,
I live in one of those "virtual stave deserts" one of the TBB volumes spoke of, so for starters I've been working with boards.  Maple and red oak so far, but I can also get aspen, walnut and cherry.  I can also get mahogany, but I've read here that it is unsatisfactory for bows.  I've also read of cherry staves and backed walnut, but what about these boards?  I can find some with very straight grain, but are they (aspen, walnut, or cherry boards) even suitable?  I don't have any particular weight or style in mind, whatever works best with the wood.
Your input is much appreciated,
Frode

PS Ironically, come Spring, several people I know have volunteered to bring me straight saplings of just about anything you can imagine, from mulberry to ash to...  :-\
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline tombo

Re: board woods
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 10:47:23 pm »
What area are you in Frode?

Offline Frode

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 10:48:47 pm »
Indianapolis, or close enough to call it that. :)
Frode

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 11:15:20 pm »
No osage, black locust, oak or hickory in Indy? Maple and hickory boards are good. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 11:16:44 pm »
you should be able to find hickory,not?
other wise i would go with the walnut,back it with something,or maple.
avoid aspen,its a soft wood i believe,all i know around here when a buttrerfly flaps its wings aspen trees fall apart
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Frode

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 11:30:41 pm »
No osage, black locust, oak or hickory in Indy? Maple and hickory boards are good. Jawge
you should be able to find hickory,not?
other wise i would go with the walnut,back it with something,or maple.
avoid aspen,its a soft wood i believe,all i know around here when a buttrerfly flaps its wings aspen trees fall apart
So far, I've only found one source for some of those, but most all of their selection would make beautiful chairs and terrifying bows :o
I should say, there are lots of trees around, and some that look pretty good, but not mine to cut.  :(
Do you think linen would be sufficient, or rather another wood?
Frode

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 11:33:33 pm »
i had the same problem here in mn.
trying to find a good hick board at a box store was a bear
i finally just started looking for local sawmills and man oh man i couldnt believe the selection of woods and every imaginable cut too
i drove 125 miles one way,but for $40 i got enough for 6 good hick board bows
next time i go im getting more hick and some ashe and some of whatever looks good
i would just ask around for local sawmills an avoid box stores
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline sulphur

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 11:55:19 pm »
frode there is nothing wrong with red oak or maple.  both make great bows.  cherry will make a good bow too but it needs to be backed.  if you have a good really straight grained maple board you can resaw a backing for the cherry.  i have had iffy results with walnut.  it also needs to be backed.  You might try looking up hardwood lumber retailers on google or yahoo in the indy area.  I bet you'll find some.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 12:16:34 am »
Aspen makes excellent arrows! ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Innocente

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 12:25:42 am »
i feel guilty about posting a link to a competing board, but i'm at work, so i can't post the neutral ground version of this i usually do:

this is tim baker's take on Aspen, and a buncha other wood for a bow.
http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/6213/t/List-of-Potenial-Bow-Wood-Species-With-Comments.html

Offline Frode

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 01:08:52 am »
i feel guilty about posting a link to a competing board, but i'm at work, so i can't post the neutral ground version of this i usually do:

this is tim baker's take on Aspen, and a buncha other wood for a bow.
http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/6213/t/List-of-Potenial-Bow-Wood-Species-With-Comments.html

Thanks Innocente, I'll be rereading that post several more times!

frode there is nothing wrong with red oak or maple.  both make great bows...

Yeah, I know, I'm just getting antsy in the cold, looking at all the beautiful not oak bows you all are doing :-\.  I actually really like the way the maple I can get here works, but I will definitely start trying to find some new sources.
Thanks,
Frode

Offline Frode

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 01:16:29 am »
i had the same problem here in mn.
trying to find a good hick board at a box store was a bear
i finally just started looking for local sawmills and man oh man i couldnt believe the selection of woods and every imaginable cut too
i drove 125 miles one way,but for $40 i got enough for 6 good hick board bows
next time i go im getting more hick and some ashe and some of whatever looks good
i would just ask around for local sawmills an avoid box stores

Good point, sailordad!  I'm only three hours from Chicago and two and a half from Cincinnati, and only an hour or so from Bloomington (where I'm from, originally).  Some of those holler folk I grew up with ought to be able to set me up with something shootable!  ;D  Heck, my brother lives down in the woods down there, I should call him!
Thanks,
Frode

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 01:37:39 am »
Make friends with some arborists and landscapers, then pray for an ice storm.   >:D
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 01:39:32 am »
Buy a ninja suit and a folding pruning saw, then set your alarm for 3:00 am.  >:D
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 01:42:08 am »
   Indiana osage is some of the best you can find. I would sure put the word out, a lot of farmers are happy to be rid of it. Steve