Author Topic: 60" Hickory Backed Osage ???  (Read 1796 times)

Offline Craig/Fl

60" Hickory Backed Osage ???
« on: January 08, 2010, 10:32:42 am »
I thinking of making one of these similar to the Grumley Brushbow design. I've made a few BBO and HBO but nothing shorter than 66"s. Would there any problems with this design in a board bow? Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: 60" Hickory Backed Osage ???
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 10:50:57 am »
I don't know but I say the name and jumped. Welcome back! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Craig/Fl

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 11:14:33 am »
Howdy Jawge ! Hows everything? you enjoying retirement?  Nice to see one of great bowbuilding mentors still around.

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 11:32:07 am »
Hi Craig! Doing ok for an old guy. Glad to see you back and helping these young whippersnappers! All these years of making bows and I've never done a wood backed bow. I glued one up - oak backed cedar- and put it in the rafters. Selfbows still call and I answer now and then. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 11:33:43 am »
Craig, we go back a long, long way! Nice to see you hear on PA. Are you making any bows? Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline Craig/Fl

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 12:06:33 pm »
Jawge, still make a bow from time to time, I'd like to get back into it as to where I make a couple a year to hunt with though. I moved up to N. Florida about 5 years ago and got a job with Bear Archery and they keep me pretty busy, spare time is usually spent hunting from Sep-April. The job with Bear has kinda inspired this Gumley project, would like to make as much as the era correct equipment as my limited skills allow and hunt with it next season, much research to do.
Glad to hear your doing well and thanks for the "welcome back", yes we do go back a ways  :)  Craig

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 12:18:49 pm »
Craig, I have made several hickory backed osage bows and can say it is an excellent combo. IMO, they go together very well. I have not made a board recurve so I can't help with that but a Grumley recurve is on my list. Chris Cade(Mechslasher) made a beautiful Grumley Brush bow last year but I believe it was from a stave.
  60" is not too short for 28" draw. I have made 60" osage static recurves for my 26" draw and always tiller out to 28".   I'm looking forward to seeing the finished bow. Keep us posted!   
  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC