Author Topic: how do you offset feathers ?  (Read 4996 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
how do you offset feathers ?
« on: January 07, 2010, 04:42:05 pm »
I've never posted here before I usually hang around in 'bows', I have one question, When you attach feathers off center to increase the spin, which way do you offset the feather? with the concave surface of the feather angled down at the front? or the other way around? I have always put them on straight before. This has probably been disscussed before here but I cant find it. Thanks, (in anticipation of the answer)
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: how do you offset feathers ?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 04:54:59 pm »
Put the dull side of the feather to the wind.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 08:04:35 pm »
A right wing feather is off set to the right, and a left wing feather to the left.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 09:26:13 pm »
 I do like adb. The feather will have a natural curve.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 06:05:42 pm »
maybe I'm dumb , but now I'm confused, Abd, to the right and left of where? not trying to be funny , but which way are you looking at the arrow when you say this?  left will become right if you turn the arrow around ??? I've noticed the natural curve Mullet, should this be angled into the wind or away from it??? I'm not clear now
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 06:21:39 pm »
Looking from the nock end of the arrow, the front end of a left wing feather will go to the left of the rear as you are looking at it.  A right wing feather, the front end will go to the right of the rear of the feather.  Does that help any?

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 07:11:35 pm »
Looking from the nock end of the arrow, the front end of a left wing feather will go to the left of the rear as you are looking at it.  A right wing feather, the front end will go to the right of the rear of the feather.  Does that help any?
Yup.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 07:14:36 pm »
yes, thanks, thats clear now

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 10:41:34 pm »
That's why I just said to put the dull side to the wind, easier than explaining lefts and rights. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 10:44:22 pm »
 I started to explain it step by step but deleted it, I was starting to confuse myself. ??? ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 06:37:55 pm »
Its actually quite difficult on these commercial turkey feathers to see  what side is the dullest, but on some hawk feathers I got its more obvious . I did an experiment today and threw an arrow with straight fletchings to see which way it span, and it spun in the opposite direction to an arrow I fletched as recommended above with the dull side angled down into the wind ??? this really confused me , I thought it would spin the same way but faster. How come it didnt?? ( if anyone is still listening)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 07:01:24 pm »
You meant Some Fake Hawk Feather............ ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 04:21:46 pm »
no, El Destructo, these are real , sea eagle feathers fom Norway,and some vulture feathers I've got, I want to make some arrows from them, but I want to get things right and not waste them because they are hard to get.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 04:24:17 pm »
They are Illegal to have here in the States...without the proper Paperwork from the U.S. Government!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 04:36:03 pm »
maybe they are illegal here too, I'm not up on these laws. I know for sure no birds where harmed getting these feathers, and thats really all I care about, whose gonna know anyway, the police are so dumb around here they wouldnt know one feather from another or even care. As a matter of interest, if you found a dead eagle over there in the States, would you use its feathers? how would anyone find out ? do they check out peoples feathers, or are people just very respectfull of the law, I'm just interested