Author Topic: Bend-through handles  (Read 3378 times)

Offline zenmonkeyman

Bend-through handles
« on: January 04, 2010, 09:45:19 pm »
I've noticed some people are able to have it both ways; they have a narrowed handle with fades, but the handle is very shallow and bends through.  My question is:

How is the transition made between the handle and the limbs?  Is the cross section of the handle more-or-less circular or D while the limbs are flat or eliptical?  Is there a trick to tillering this area?  Can somebody post some nice pictures of what's worked for them? 

Much appreciated, guys!
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

half eye

Re: Bend-through handles
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 10:49:38 pm »
Zenman,
      Here's a picture of how you can make a "waisted" grip and still have it bend through or "into" the handle....just depends on how much wood you take off. This pic is of a Mollegabet (rigid handle) and how you would lay it out to bend through.
      The way you controll it is by narrowing the height of the grips' center and how much you "scoop" down into the LONG fades....in other words you can make it bend by thinning the handle (OR) you can scoop into the fades to bring the bend towards the centerline....(OR) combine the two things to fit the design that YOU want to have.
       Every bend through I have made has a waisted grip and flat limbs...so for things like elb's etc. don't believe a word I say!
half eye ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 11:10:01 pm »
No secret just lots of patience while tillering. A little luck is helpfull also.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 12:29:55 am »
Thanks, guys, you've given me a little confidence here.  Ultimately all I can do is try it, and hopefully get it right(ish) the first or second time.  ;)
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 12:31:22 am »
The secret is in the dimensions. Handles that bend have some kind of a ratio of 3/4" thick  to 1.5" wide (yup, common board dimensions for a 1 x 2) at least for  whitewoods like hickory and red oak. So 1" thick and 1.25" wide will also bend, I've found. I don't feel comfortable changing those dimensions much more than that. This bow is hickory and the handle bends at 1 inch thick and 1.25 inches wide. Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline gmc

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 12:33:19 am »
Very nice Jawge.
Central Kentucky

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 01:17:55 am »
Thanks, gmc.
Here's another hickory with the same handle dims. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 06:10:28 pm »
Thanks, Jawge!  That's very helpful too.  :)

Offline gmc

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 12:41:32 am »
Looks like you have the bend spread out a bit more into the outer limbs on the second bow, Jawge. Which bow has the best cast? Think I like the second bow better. Both are very nice bows thou, I like Hickory.
Central Kentucky

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 11:10:02 am »
I don't know, gmc, I made that second bow for Brad Smith and gave it to him a few years ago. I think he said it shot 155 fps at 26 in. I don't know what it would do at 28 in. We exchanged bows as a gesture of friendship. He made me a beauty! I got the best of that deal for sure. I think both bows shown here shot about the same. I do like that design. That first bow was my hunting bow this year so it shot pretty well. Conventional wisdom says start the bend at the end of the fades. Most of the time that's the ticket. But it's nice to experiment. I love that semi bend in the handle design as I think they are capable of much energy storage and have been making them for years. Jawge
Set Happens!