Author Topic: Lamintae  (Read 1871 times)

Offline Runningbear

Lamintae
« on: January 07, 2010, 12:25:03 am »
Ive made only selfbows so far, I wanted to know if a good bow could made of maple backing,ipe core,and red oak belly?
 :-\

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Lamintae
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 12:49:11 am »
Maple backed ipe should make a nice bow. If you want to use 3 lams put the red oak in the middle(core). Ipe is very strong in compression so it should be on the compression side; the belly. Maple makes a good backing for lighter woods but If it is a good clear piece if hard maple it should work as a backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jesse

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 01:58:25 am »
What Pat said :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 04:49:03 am »
I understand ipe wins for the belly, but which is stronger in tension, the oak or the maple, and is either one really strong enough for the ipe?  I think I would go with a hickory or boo backing, and ditch the oak or maple.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

half eye

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 11:16:59 am »
I made a prod for an early cross bow ....28" long has an ipe belly and hard maple back....about equal thickness it pulls more than 100# at 15" and has been pulled to 18"....it is a very tough combination in my opinion....if some pics would help be happy to post some.
half eye ;)

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 12:07:44 pm »
I made a maple backed ipe early on and it is fine - only thing was it was early on in my bowmaking and I made it too narrow - the ipe developed some chrysals.
1’—>1’

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 08:11:26 pm »
Nothing wrong with maple as a backing. I've used it successfully with osage, walnut, yew, and jatoba. I'd skip the oak all together, and make a maple backed ipe.

Offline Runningbear

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 12:54:54 am »
Thanks! I'll just try the maple and ipe. ;D
Runningbear.