Author Topic: "Sweet Imperfections"  (Read 10653 times)

Offline Kegan

"Sweet Imperfections"
« on: January 06, 2010, 07:17:50 pm »
Well, I really like how this bow shoots, but I messed the finish up something awful by being in a rush and indecisive about how to get the finish perfect (oh the irony ;D). Anyway, this actually turned out to be one of my best bows yet, and my new favorite design: the pyramid R/D!

66" between the nocks, 2" at the widest. Hickory, it pulls 75# at 30" and shoots faster than my 80# and 88#. Stores more energy, and puts more of it in the arrow. I could have narrowed the 3/8" wide nocks much more, but this was my first shot. The handle was a little shallow so I built it up with that leather. One of the easiest bows I've tillered- the stupid finish being the hardest part. Flat belly not really tempered, despite the low set (about 1/2" top limb, 1" bottom limb). This is the hardest, fastest shooting bow I've ever made- despite some bows that were much heavier. And man does it shoot straight ;). I intend to do many more in this style, hopefully a few that actually look nice ;)!

I named it "Sweet Imperfections" because despite looking like a mess it shoots like a dream, and my first bow applying proper bow design to a heavy weight. I'll be using this one for the upcoming school talent show.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 07:37:01 pm by Kegan »

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: "Sweet Imperfections"
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 07:24:27 pm »
Glad to see you making another one of those light weight bows.  ;D It is a great looking bow Kegan. You are a great bowyer, especially for your age. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 07:27:50 pm »
nice kegan wish my pyr had come out that nice

Offline carbinecasey

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 07:37:50 pm »
Very nice bow Kegan!
CC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 07:45:27 pm »
Thanks all, I really appreciate it :)

Offline tombo

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 07:47:55 pm »
Great looking bow Kegan. Can you show a close up of those tips?   Tom

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 07:50:49 pm »
Hey Kegan thats a beutiful bow. You seem to draw with littlw trouble i bet your shooting heavier bows. Nice tiller too
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 08:13:30 pm »
Love the tiller. Love the tips too.  I like 'em scrawny like that.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 08:25:57 pm »
Kegan , I like it Allot. I think the graphics look great  and it definitely looks like a great performer. Profile and tiller look excellent and full draw outstanding.  Congratulations on a very fine bow

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 08:29:15 pm »
Gee.....I wish I could squat down like that to Shoot.......... ;)...maybe if I would have kept the Shiny Side Up and the Rubber Side Down....I still could..... >:(

Nice Bow Kegan....aint them Pyramid Bows fun to shoot.... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Kegan

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 08:32:31 pm »
Thanks all!

Tom- here's a picture of the tips, jsut plain ol' pin nocks. That gray is a mistake with a Sharpie.

Legionnaire- Yeah, as Justin siad this one is a "light weight" for me :D. As I mentioned, my other two bows are 80# and 88#... makes me really appreciate this one!

Saw Filer- They could be scrawnier, still not as nice and light as yours!

Mike- yes they are! I think their will be several more in my future...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Little John

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 09:53:11 pm »
Nice job Kegan, I really like those tiny tips. You should do a bit of flight shooting for distanceto test your bows and their performance. It is about the first thing I do with a new bow. I would be intrested to know how far your bows will shoot.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline sulphur

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 09:58:55 pm »
love the looks of that one!!!  nice tiller,  and the skinny handle looks awfully handy when trying different arrow spines.

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 10:22:52 pm »
Howdy Kegan,

Did you use heat or steam to induse the R/D curves?

I admire your bow(s), and the fact that you can turn them out so quickly.  This bow looks especially well designed / built, it looks real fast and sweet.

All the Best,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 10:39:52 pm »
Nice looking bow Kegan.  You are a bow making machine.  Only 75#, what are you getting weak on us? ;D
Traverse City, MI