Author Topic: shooting techniques  (Read 6274 times)

mowgli

shooting techniques
« on: November 28, 2009, 01:35:19 pm »
Almost everytime I shoot the arrows break the web skin between my thumb and index finger.  Does any one know anything I can do to keep that from happening?

radius

Re: shooting techniques
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 02:48:26 pm »
turn the arrow around so the broadhead is facing the other way? 

wear thin gloves?

toughen up?

Offline boo

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 02:59:49 pm »
radius, you have got to be one of the biggest smart@ss in hte world dont ya. If you havnt anything good to say, just dont say it.

Mawgli, are you wrapping the front of your feathers? Is the knocking point set correctly, You may want to try a little higher knocking point. Id also check the spine of the arrows.
Boo

radius

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 05:46:47 pm »
now now boo, no name-calling:  this is a family site.

Offline mrkinsey

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 06:05:00 pm »
I have the same problem.  I found that it was because my fletchings stand too high off the shaft itself.  Try sanding them down really thin prior to lashing them.  Or cover your hand with some leather.
There is always Hope.

radius

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 06:14:21 pm »
i agree:  either a thin glove or an arrow rest...

Offline boo

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 07:51:52 pm »
Now looky there radius, I new you could talk to someone without all the sarcasm. Good on you
Boo

radius

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 08:48:46 pm »
Now looky there radius, I new you could talk to someone without all the sarcasm. Good on you

you have no idea, new guy

Offline woodstick

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 09:08:23 pm »
lets all get along. good question deserves good awnser. i wish i could help but i shoot poc arrows.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 12:50:19 am »
I wrap the forward end of my fletching and that helps but lately I been using a floppy rest and it solved the problem.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 01:12:52 am »
Mowgli....sound advise from a Few....but You need Hip Boots and Ear Plugs to listen to put up with some too!!!.....It sounds like a Sharp Feather to me....ask PatB or anyone that was at the Classic last Spring what a Set of Rushed Arrows will do to your Webbing ....I got like 4th Place Shooting.....but I bled like a Stuck Hog all day Shooting them!! You have to either use a Razor Knife and trim the down...or do like Pappy told Me at the Classic....and mash the Forward edge with a Screwdriver to flatten it....I then wrapped them with String and Super Glued that down...and haven't had a Problem since then
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 10:41:55 am »
Just had this happen to me - I left the quill high in the front and the thing split at release and I had a one inch long sliver embedded in my index finger.  That was the first two fletch I had done and didn't realize I had to keep it so low.  I left the feather trimmed way to high, also.  It sounded like I was shooting a garbage bag.  Live and learn.  I wrapped the front and it's fine now.  Destructo - like the idea of flattening the end with the screwdriver.
1’—>1’

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 11:01:33 pm »
It worked great for Me Parnell...and then the Silk String really took care of the edge...but by that time....my webbing and top of my Index Finger were Hamburger..... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 08:40:13 pm »
I cut that part of my hand for a few days but the skin builds up quite fast...just a couple scars there now.