Author Topic: elm for light ELB  (Read 4008 times)

Offline youngbowyer33

elm for light ELB
« on: January 02, 2010, 01:58:16 am »
how do you think american elm would do for a lightweight(30# ish) ELB?I want to do one so any knowledge or tips or info would be appreciated.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline staveshaver

Re: elm for light ELB
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 02:30:14 am »
Elm is an awesome bow wood for almost any design, especially when heat treated.It is however, tough to work with.I.M.O

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 12:55:30 pm »
Like Staveshaver said "elm is a great bow wood for any design". You shouldn't have any trouble making a 30# bow with it. How long is your elb going to be?
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 01:01:31 pm »
Dunno what's the difference between American and UK Elm, but I made an ELB from Uk Elm years ago it was 60# at 28" it eventually crysalled a bit and it wasn't as lively as a Yew ELB, but 30# should be no problem.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 03:44:18 pm »
Hrothgar it will be about 67" long, which i don't think should be a problem because i have a very short draw length, but i want to be able to draw to the ear every once in a while.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 05:37:13 pm »
Del, it would be interesting to know how uk and usa elm compare, because there are quite a lot of young  elms around here, but I dont think they are as hard as the rarer wych elms? 
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 06:21:58 pm »
what dimensions do you think? maybe 1" wide at handle tapering to 1/2" at nocks?5/8" thick at handle tapering to 1/2" at the nocks?I really have no clue but i am eager to start laying it out

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 06:46:13 pm »
Del, it would be interesting to know how uk and usa elm compare, because there are quite a lot of young  elms around here, but I dont think they are as hard as the rarer wych elms? 
We lost a lot of Elm trees back in the 70s to Dutch Elm disease  :'( , it was a tree felled then which I used, The wood is about the colour of Oak with a grain a bit like Ash but finer. S'pos I could post some pics if anyone's interested, the bow got re-worked to about 20# or so as a kids bow.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline tombo

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 10:45:51 pm »
Never tried American Elm but Cedar (Texas) Elm is great if you find a clear enough piece.  Tom

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 11:33:03 am »
1 inch wide at the handle will be plenty wide, and your other dimensiions should be ok too. You didn't mention how deep the handle is, but you might start out with something like 1 1/4 inches deep and then thin it down as you start tillering. I've made a couple takedown elbs from ash. Try to tiller your bow so that it bends to the handle. If you have access to some linen it's a good idea to back it before its completely tillered, ( if for no other reason I think the linen makes a cool-looking backing). 67" should be a good length.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Scrub_buck

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 07:31:25 pm »
I ran into a huge American elm tree today while cruising timner.  It was about 16 inches in diameter and had no less than 15 feet of clear knotless stem.

I think I am going to get the logger to let me know when he gets to it so I can get two 70 inch butt cuts off of it and try to make a few bows from it. 

I'll try and get my camrea by there to get a picture of this beauty!