Author Topic: Property Damage laws?  (Read 6525 times)

Offline aznboi3644

Property Damage laws?
« on: January 03, 2010, 08:45:09 pm »
I live in the middle of Evansville Indiana...but I have deer coming to my house practically every night.  We have 5.5 acres of land and the dang deer love to come to my garden and eat all my plants and debark my trees.

Last night I pull into my driveway and heard something about 20 yards away but it was behind the garage...sounded like a deer walking on the frozen grass.

Does anyone know the shooting laws regarding animals damaging and destroying property??

I remember someone telling me something a long time ago that it is legal to shoot a deer destroying your property...but my memory isn't all that great so its a shot in the dark lol

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Property Damage laws?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 08:47:04 pm »
Call the Game Warden.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 08:52:45 pm »
My dad lives on the NW side of Eville- out off of St. Joe.  I believe there is an over abundance of deer in his part of town as he's had issues with his garden the last two years.  I get up there several times a year, most recently for the West Side Nut Club Fall Festival.....best brain sandwiches you will ever eat!!!  ;D
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 10:00:08 pm »
I would definetily check your local hunting regulations, or contact a game warden. Better to be safe than sorry.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 12:03:54 am »
 5.5 acres of land? ;D .22 cal. sub-sonics and a good skinning knife.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 05:53:00 am »
5.5 acres of land? ;D .22 cal. sub-sonics and a good skinning knife.

I was thinking the same exact thing  :D :D :D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 07:00:22 am »
I was thinking waiting on my roof top..that would bring me about 15 yards to the deer at night...quietest shot would be with a big broad head...hang her up in the barn and process

But I'll get at the GW tomorrow.  check back soon

Offline cracker

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 10:31:29 am »
What Eddie said. >:D
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline KShip85

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 08:18:22 pm »
Here is a link to the State DNR page about nuisance deer hope it helps

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/2718.htm

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 08:59:31 pm »
 four words... GARAGE BECOMES TREE STAND!LOL
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Little John

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 10:53:35 am »
Yea or walk in meat locker.  The deer were giving us fits and my wife was after me to harvest one to save her young trees from being eaten and horned to death. Luckily the snow got so deep that the deer started going somewhere else. It is tough watching a big buck at 25 yards out your bedroom window in full moon light with a snow back drop.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 05:27:53 pm »
I found this snippet from the State DNR page amusing:

"In other words, the dogs can’t simply be permitted to roam the property."

I am adamantly against free-roaming dogs on public lands frequented by other people. But on someone's own property, provided they don't go on to other peoples' property, what's the state doing here telling people they can't do that? I don't see a problem with a person's dogs running loose on their own property---of the people themselves running bare naked on the property if that's what they're into.  Reminds me of a story about the guy who called the police and was complaining about his neighbors "Running around naked and dancing and doing sex things!" Cop comes out and can't see anything. He asks the guy, "When were they doing this, sir? I don't see them." "Well, ya gotta climb over the eight foot wall into their backyard. Then ya gotta peek in their back window, right where the curtain doesn't fully reach the wall, see." "Indeed, I see, sir. Please turn around and put your hands behind your back. You have the right to remain silent..."  ;D

Here's another funny snippet:

"If you are experiencing extensive deer damage, contact your local district wildlife biologist. The biologist can help to develop a deer reduction plan and may be able to provide deer control permits for your property."

In states with a lot of anti-hunting wildlife biologists on the staff, the "deer reduction plan" is you spending scads of cash on fences that don't work and no control permits issued.  These are usually also states with hundreds of deer hit on roads but, oh no, can't hunt 'em! Reminds me of another story. Guy's out hunting and an anti-hunter jumps right in front of a deer as they guy releases his arrow. The anti-hunter is severely wounded and takes the guy to court. Judge hears the story and rules, saying, "Not guilty. This was all just a tragic accident." The hunter says, "Yer durn right it was tragic, yer honor! I had a clear shot at that buck when this dummy jumped in front of me and stole my arrow by catching it in his belly!"  >:D

Living a dream...

Offline KShip85

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 11:00:02 pm »
Yeah, if you think that stuff from the state site is bad you should get a glimpse of what my local county is passing.  Soon no new housing will be allowed outside of designated "urban areas" and they are putting a freeze on all new development until current available lots are sold.  My parents just got done spending the better part of sixth months jumping through hoops to sell divide up some family farm land to deed my wife and I ten acres and sell 2.5 acres to my best friend and his wife.  At first they told us that they would have to come out and designate where we could build our house on the property.  Don't get me wrong, I do not like housing additions popping up like weeds all the time but trying to keep my family from deeding me wife and me land that has been in my family for twenty some years is ludicrous.  On top of all this I hear that the local city government will soon be requiring permits to cut trees on your own property.  I am very thankful I live outside the city limits and hope that the county commission does not do its normal thing and follow suit and try to pass the act for the entire county.  Again, I am against clear cutting and the like but if I heat with wood I do not believe I should have to spend $25 a wack or more to cut down a tree that may well already be dead just to keep warm in the winter.  Very sorry to hijack this but the past several months of dealing with my local planning commission has almost put me over the edge.

p.s. With regards to the deer, I hope ya find a good solution that doesn't land anyone in hot water.  Hope that the link was of some use and if nothing else and ya have to wait it out, maybe you can make a nice harvest next fall all without having to leave home!

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 02:53:32 am »
yeah...next fall I will for sure be getting a harvest...I may even be able to use the kitchen window as my "Deer blind" lol

Nothing like taking a deer in your pjs and a hot pot of coffee brewing right next to you lol

vtclimber

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 04:04:12 pm »
Had a friend do that this year during the season. Used 22 cal sub sonics and sat in his kitchen with a cup of coffee. Came within ten yards of the window and suffered acute lead poisoning ::)