Author Topic: broke point  (Read 3040 times)

Offline criverkat

• David Hilborn
broke point
« on: January 05, 2010, 11:40:02 am »
I keep having this problem every time i try getting a point thin.This piece i had a bad stack and i was trying to get rid of it and well you see what happened, but its this size points i am having trouble with. Any advise would be appreciated this is the tenth one i broke and they could all be twenkies  :'(

[attachment deleted by admin]
build a bow build a arrow Knapp some flint cook some rock now thats fun

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: broke point
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 12:00:48 pm »
Is that pressure or percussion? You can break em easy enough either way. Priority one is set up your platform just at or below center - second priority is to get your angle right befor you strike or push with pressure flaker (ishi stick). Not doing either one of those right in the begining stages can break or create steps and stacks causing a break later.
 I'd suggest getting with someone who can show you or at least a good book (with pictures). Only one I've ever looked at was "the art of flintknapping" by: DC Waldorf.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 12:03:07 pm »
Striking too high on the platform.  Not isolating the platform. Bad aim :-\  Poor support.   Could be a number of things.   Show us the flake that was removed at the moment it broke. That'll help fihure out what went wrong.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline criverkat

• David Hilborn
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 12:20:23 pm »
well it was percussion,and pressure for setting up platforms and i have lots of books and videos as my points get thin its hard to tell were above and bellow center is with this piece the stack started out as a week platform and that second swing did not help ;D i set up a  platform behind my stack abraded it well and took a swing "snap"
as far as the pont of inpact flake, well when it snaped so did i ;D

Offline StevenT

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 01:39:23 pm »
I can't say anything different from what has been suggested and don't mean to change the direction of your thread, but have you heard of a booger-picker tool? To make one, all you need to do is hammer a small mail into a small (4 inch or so) piece of broom handle. Drill a small hole in the dowel first so it doesn't split on you. After you hammer the nail in, cut the head off and file the end into a shape like a flat blade screw driver only make it flat and sharp. You can then use it to pick off some stacks, flakes that hang, etc. It won't help with your platform making and striking skills, but it sure comes in handy.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 05:37:06 pm »
What Shannon said, plus maybe pinching it too hard. I broke tons like that until I figured out to hold very gently, just enough pressure to keep it from flying out of your hand when you hit it. Try to support the piece evenly and lightly.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline criverkat

• David Hilborn
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 08:27:33 pm »
 hillbilly that could be it cause cause i do squeezed pretty tight never really thought of that i will defiantly try to ease up on my grip

THANKS DAVID

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 11:17:59 pm »
Usually if you squeeze it tight after you start getting it thin, it'll snap right where you're holding it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 02:00:15 am »
Usually if you squeeze it tight after you start getting it thin, it'll snap right where you're holding it.

been there done that more than once
ben knapping a year now,still do it.wrecked a real nice one the other night just about had it finished too
oh well,gotta do that from time to time just to remind myself to not squeeze it too tight ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 02:34:40 am »

Well Hillbilly, that could be my problem then also.  Only it snaps off at the opposite end, where I am hitting. ::)  Got some new words, though...... ;D
                                                                                 Wayne

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 10:11:05 am »
That's end snap Wayne,if you have to hit on the base of the point,fluting or thining,try pressing the point into something to absorb the shock.I've shot tips across the room.....more than once
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 05:03:13 pm »

Thanks Bone pile, I will try that.  That's exactly what it is doing, either, just falling off, or flying across the yard. ::)

Wayne