Author Topic: Haven't built a bow in 2 years now  (Read 13109 times)

Offline Badger

Haven't built a bow in 2 years now
« on: January 01, 2010, 10:12:48 pm »
      I can't believe how time flys. I went from being a bow making machine t not making any bows at all. Just suddenly stopped. I still pull some of the old bows out of the garage and rework them here and there. I think I just ran out of things to try. I think mentaly I am gearing up for my next project I plan to start next year. I won't go into detail but it will be a giant flight bow, maybe 50 ft long. This is my retirement project, plan to have about a 20ft draw and rig it to shoot 12 ft long poles. This year I plan to go down south and find the hickory trees I will need, figure I will build it in the desert somewhere very dry. Hoping for a 1/2 mile long shot. Steve

Offline Bushbow

Re: Haven't built a bow in 2 years now
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 10:40:39 pm »
If you had a really big treestand you could take it hunting. I bet it would take out any animal on the North American continent.  ;D
Chuck S.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 11:01:52 pm »
hell i would use that one on that cape/water buffalo hunt folks been talking about ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 11:09:12 pm »
Badger, I remember you were working on one from osage when I visited Pasadena. It happens.  I don't make as many as I used to either. But workshop time is precious so enjoy it if you can and while you can. Happy New Year! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 11:18:14 pm »
      I think sometimes going back to basics puts the fun back in it. What I enjoy most is just sitting out in the backyard on my shaving horse, endless supply of coffee and making shavings. End result is not all that important, I just enjoy seeing them make the 28" the first time. Put a few dozen arrows into a target and then grab another stave and start over. When the hobby started to grow into something a bit larger some of my passion for making bows went with it. I hope when I retire next year I can get that back. Steve

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 11:21:24 pm »
I'm just finishing up a bow I'll post this week. But I am also starting to build a lapstrake boat. All new terminology and mostly new technique.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 11:58:34 pm »
Why a 50ft bow to shoot a 12ft spear??

That would be scaled to using a 9.7ft bow to shoot a 28 inch arrow.

Rich Saffold

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 12:12:10 am »
I agree Steve, as soon as it becomes work, well then its just work.  I didn't make any bows for a month earlier this year, and it was a refreshing break. Today I had a bunch of fellow deranged hanglider pilots flight shooting my latest osage backed osage long bow in the local landing zone, and that was very motivating to watch.

On that 50' bow can I get the first ride? ;D  I'm sure we have a few more Missouri trips left in us as well 8)

Rich

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 12:15:19 am »
az, I am going to draw the bow about 20ft, I will build it with an overdraw device, I want the arrow pretty light for more distance. Steve

Offline Keenan

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 01:10:29 am »
Steve I can definitely relate. I have an attention disorder and I seem to get bored easy. I'm amazed at how many bows that I have that are half done. After a while I get a mental block and want to try something new or nothing at all. ::)
 Trying very hard right now to discipline myself and finish a few of them. ::)

Offline sailordad

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 01:21:05 am »
Steve I can definitely relate. I have an attention disorder and I seem to get bored easy. I'm amazed at how many bows that I have that are half done. After a while I get a mental block and want to try something new or nothing at all. ::)
 Trying very hard right now to discipline myself and finish a few of them. ::)

me too
plus i always find my rock pile calling me since i started to knapp
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline sulphur

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 03:01:38 am »
guys there is nothing wrong with not making a lot of bows for a while.  I finished my last 2 christmas bows up two weeks ago and haven't touched a bow since.  I bet most of you guys are like me with lots of hobbies and interests.  I've re-aquainted myself with my guitars, straightened up my tools and work space, as well as a few honey do's.  Oh i will back at it soon, but a break with help you find perspective.  Badger i would love to see that giant bow!!!  please post pics and video if you can.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 07:26:56 am »
ahh...forgot about overdraw on flight bows

what would you use for tillering? a hand held belt sander or a chainsaw? lol

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 10:20:09 am »
   Most likely for tillering I would make a taper jig and run it through a planer.The limbs will probably be like 3 bows side by side and joined at the tips and several places along the limbs. I am actually hoping a tv show picks it up to help off set the costs. One team would build the firing platform and release I would just concentrate on the bow.
Richard, we could launch your gliders with this thing!

Offline Jesse

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 10:33:16 am »
Sounds like a cool project. I wondered a few times about making a giant bow. I figured a laminate would be the way to go. I for one cant wait to see what you come up with. Just stand clear when playing with it. I imagine you would get more than a thump on the head from that one.
I'm like keenan and others. I start a bow and then get into something else. I was sure I was going to be making some snow shoes this winter but didnt start that yet. Been playing drums lately/making loud noise which is good fun for my A.D.D. brain ;D I look at the bows I'm working on a lot more than I actually work on them.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark