Author Topic: horse shoe nail notcher  (Read 8304 times)

Offline criverkat

• David Hilborn
horse shoe nail notcher
« on: January 01, 2010, 09:28:00 pm »
what size horse shoe nail do yall use in your notchers i am going to make me one but don't know what size to get

THANKS

DAVID
build a bow build a arrow Knapp some flint cook some rock now thats fun

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: horse shoe nail notcher
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 01:24:59 am »
I use #5 nails. That is what I had left over from shoeing horses.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 01:47:28 am »
not tryint ohi jack your thread here criverkat

however i have been wanting one of these,but dont want to try and make it as i already have enough on my plate to keep me busy for awhile
so ifn anyone would care to make me one i am sure we could work out a trade for something p.m. me and we'll talk
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline nugget

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 03:37:11 pm »
Here are 2 notchers I made today. Nothing fancy just functional. This should give you an idea of how to make one.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 03:38:36 pm »
This is one that I made for Jesse (leaping bare)....don't you think about it...it's Patented........... >:D.......not.......... O:)

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline criverkat

• David Hilborn
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 10:11:23 pm »
El Destructo too late i already made two just like that  >:D lol  ;D
did you use a dremal to make your notch for the nail if so what bit did you use that is the only problem area i had

nugget ain't noting wrong with those notchers ill have too make one like that now  ;D
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 10:18:23 pm by criverkat »
build a bow build a arrow Knapp some flint cook some rock now thats fun

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 07:51:03 am »
El Destructo, how did you make the front cap/sleeve?  Was it something already domed, or did you dome that out of regular copper pipe(and how if you did)?  Looks sharp.

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 10:28:24 am »
Swamp....go to the Hardware Store and ask them for a 3/4" Copper Pipe Stub-Out...they use these Fittings on New Construction...especially on Apartment Buildings and such....when one Contractor come in and does the Electrical...another does the  Piping...and so on...these Connections are made to come out of the Wall and dead end....this way when the Plumbers are done with the Piping...they can Hydrotest it for Leaks without all of the Fixtures being installed already....then the Installers just use Tubing cutters to cut off the ends and install their Valves and Fixtures

Here is a Picture of everything that you need to build one of these Flakers....but don't tell anyone....OK............ ;D

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 12:12:24 pm »
I've had that flaker that El Destructo made me for a year now.. and i love it. i have used it allot and changed the nail 3 times and its very easy to swap the nail out.. he also make a little one and thats my favorite for edge work.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 12:45:47 pm »
Thanks El Destructo,  I've only seen the ones that screw into a threaded fitting that the fixtures are mounted onto after hydro and inspection.  I'll have hit my neighbor (plumber) up for one.

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 02:58:28 pm »
I knew that My time involved in making them for You would not be wasted Jesse!! I knew I could count on you to try and wear them out chippin Flint.... ;D
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 10:39:14 am »

Dang, guys, those are pretty cool. :o

Wayne

jreb

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 06:19:23 pm »
Dang , thos are nice. One question the horseshoe nails i bought aren't sharp pointed like that, do you file them sharp , mine are flat on the tips i think i got the wrong ones ??? ???

Offline nugget

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 06:45:21 pm »
You can file them since you already bought them. All the horseshoe nails I have ever used all were pointed. 

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 09:24:15 pm »
If they are flat on the front they are probably cut nails not horse shoe nails.  Horse shoe hails have to be sharp.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah