Author Topic: First bend through handle longbow  (Read 8616 times)

Offline Frode

First bend through handle longbow
« on: December 30, 2009, 02:00:36 pm »
Hi all,
Here is the object of my latest fear and trepidation;
Red oak, 72" tip to tip, 70" ntn, approx. 42# @ 24", double layer hemp cord handle w/ diluted Titebond II to seal and lock.  Linen backed, because the board was nice, but not picture perfect.  Buc, buc, bucaw.   ;D
You'll notice a bit of a bulge on either side of the handle.  I left about a 10" straight section in the middle (don't ask me why  ???), tapering out to the tips from there, then came back later and narrowed the grip area to about 1 1/4", which is comfortable for me.  In the handle pic it almost looks like a hinge to me, but it isn't.
I've been working for "insert weight here" @ 28" on all my bows so far, because it seemed to be kind of a standard ( ???), but when Missus Frode took the full draw pic she also took some measurements, and it turns out that 24" is where I'm most consistently accurate from.  Probably should've determined that up front, huh?!
Any way, there it is, drawn to 18" 60 times or so, 24" half a dozen times as of the picture (I know what I'll be doing the rest of today), and hopefully I'll shoot it tonight.
As always, I appreciate your eyes and observations.
Thanks,
Frode

[attachment deleted by admin]
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: First bend through handle longbow
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 02:21:12 pm »
Nice clean simple bow, I'd like to hear how it shoots.
If I had to be real picky I'd say maybe the lower limb could bend the merest whisker more near the tip and near the grip, (E.G the lower limb could flex a tad more?)...
But it looks pretty good to me.
On second thaughts...ignore this post ;)
Del
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 02:24:30 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 02:22:48 pm »
Tiller looks good and isn't amazing that people always think they draw longer than they do :D

At 24" draw you can cut that baby down 4" and pick up weight if you so desire.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 02:24:18 pm »
haha you look like a guy I know up in Gruver, TX.

Bow looks good...only thing I'd be concerned about are the nocks.  They look a bit shallow to me, but it may be a combination of a misleading picture and my fondness of deep nocks.  I had a string slip off the top nock on me once...broke my string loop, broke my nock on my arrow, gave a sore eye for a few days, and I lost my food over it.

Draw weights and lengths are crazy.  I have to set my bows at 28~30 because I draw between 24 adn 32 lol...depending on how fast I have to let loose and, sometimes, I seem to just keep going until I run out of arrow.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline NTD

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 02:41:08 pm »
I like it.  It looks nice.

Nate
Nate Danforth

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 02:43:09 pm »
Very  nice  looking  bow:)
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline NTProf

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 03:02:50 pm »
For some reason this type of bow is quicly becoming my favorite - simple, D-shape, bend-in-the-handle. Looks great!

Offline cracker

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 03:25:26 pm »
Damn good looking bow.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Frode

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 03:37:27 pm »
Thank you everyone!

haha you look like a guy I know up in Gruver, TX.

Bow looks good...only thing I'd be concerned about are the nocks.  They look a bit shallow to me...

Makenzie, yeah, those kind of worried me a bit, too.  They never slipped, but there were a couple of times they kind of popped into place during stringing, so...  see below.
I might be that guy in Gruver's evil twin...  >:D

For some reason this type of bow is quicly becoming my favorite - simple, D-shape, bend-in-the-handle...

NTProf, Yeah, it's amazing how much lighter it is than my riser bows (even lighter than my 60" fiberglass bow!), both in weight, and in mass when moving it around!  I keep thinking, "There is no way this toothpick can take over 40 pounds".

Nice clean simple bow, I'd like to hear how it shoots.
If I had to be real picky I'd say maybe the lower limb could bend the merest whisker more near the tip and near the grip, (E.G the lower limb could flex a tad more?)...
But it looks pretty good to me.
On second thaughts...ignore this post ;)
Del

Del, I'm not one to leave well enough alone ( :D), so it'll probably end up under the knife again.  

[attachment deleted by admin]
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 03:58:56 pm »
'No way this toothpick can handle 40#' ;D
I know what you mean, a bow which bends right to the tip can end up giving you the jitters as you tiller those last 6"...It just needs some smart ass to burst a paper bag behind your back >:D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 09:51:43 pm »
Do you ever get your beard caught in the string at release?  Great looking bow!
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

half eye

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 10:48:45 pm »
Frode,
       I been lookin at your other work, and got to say you pretty much got that tiller thing down bud ;D I really like your bows because of their clean and simple lines....it's a lot harder than it looks to make a clean bow....I really think you could about make any type bow because you are carefull with your tillering.....nice bow, may she shoot well and long!
half eye ;)

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 10:57:52 pm »
 great looking bow brother, hope she gets to launch lots of arrows for you.. great tiller . Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 11:17:50 pm »
Loks great. Well done. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 01:15:43 am »
Like it ! I have been wanting to make a D bow. Just havent found the right piece of wood in my pile yet.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!