Author Topic: some artifacts (pic heavy)  (Read 2913 times)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
some artifacts (pic heavy)
« on: December 31, 2009, 06:20:06 am »
thought you all would enjoy some pics of the real deal from the northeast. pic quality isnt great. next time i can get in there ill remove the covers and bring the tripod. the stone they used up here was incredible. anything from hornstone, jasper, and the new york cherts, to quartz, silicified clay, and granite (basalt)

these first three are of one small display showing a time line of points and styles.

these are just some of my favorites from this display. the onandaga blade is about 6" long and impeccable work.  the jasper blade is as big as my foot. very impressive . the last pic is my favorite . the material is basically a mix of granite and quartz. and to get that detailed a point from crap material is an art form in itself.

the last three are of a steatite bowl, some fishing hooks and other gear, and some more knives. the quartz blade is pretty impressive.

"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline DanaM

Re: some artifacts (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 07:28:49 am »
Cool stuff jamie 8)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline criverkat

• David Hilborn
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 10:25:34 am »
REAL COOL ;D
build a bow build a arrow Knapp some flint cook some rock now thats fun

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 10:40:38 am »
That stuff is amazing. Thanks for sharing.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

flinthills50

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 11:06:52 am »
That area Must be BEAUTIFUL!- 'cause they Sure didn't live there because of all the Primo rock!  ;D It IS amazing the quality of work they did out of marginal material! If thats all I had to work, I'd probably be a basket weaver! Thanks for sharing, those are cool! Craig

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 12:54:31 pm »
Dang stranger, you don't post much any more, but when you do you post with style.  Nice looking collection.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 12:54:56 pm »
 Jamie, those rocks rock! very cool collection.. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline warhawk

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 01:43:50 pm »
I love artifacts i think the really cool thing is that by knapping we share a bond with the people who made them a really appreciate the amount of skill and knowledge they needed to craft the items. It was a matter of survival not just a skill and a master knapper was a valued member of his society. thanks
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline jamie

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 06:22:26 am »
while we were setting up this display the ladies kept asking me to pick 3 or 4 points out of a group of a dozen to represent that style of point. there were some beautiful modern looking points in the bunch . i didnt pic many of those. i love seeing the job they did with such tough materials like quartz and some of the sandstone and clays. im glad you all like this. next time i go in the vault ill try and get some more pics.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 09:50:56 pm »
Jamie
Where is that display from?  It is great. I got to check it out if it is close to you.   Where do you think that Hornstone and Jasper came from?  It's not native to the northeast right. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline jamie

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 10:03:16 pm »
Rick next time you come up we,ll hit the museum

waterbury, ct