Author Topic: Bamboo  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Simple Hunter

Bamboo
« on: December 29, 2009, 10:01:02 pm »
I dont post very much,I like to just read what you all have to say.But I have a Question, I have some bamboo and I have never made a bamboo backed bow.So here is the Question, I have some osage (not the best quality), good piece of hickory and purple hart, any thoughts on where to start?( I am looking to make a two lam not three or more.)

half eye

Re: Bamboo
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 10:13:15 pm »
S H
     I have made only one backed bow with bamboo. It was hickory belly with boo backing...TBII for glue. That thing was really stout and really quick. It was 50" rigid handled flat bow (prymid style). You didn't say what you wanted to make but this was my experience....the bamboo will allow a lot of draw for any belly wood, it will add speed to what ever your belly wood is. I did not do a lot of sanding on the nodes & took care of the tiller by only working on the belly.....but I know some fellas do it differently.
half eye ;)

Offline Simple Hunter

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 10:47:21 pm »
Thanks, that design is what I am looking for with TBII.But I have another question, how wide at the fades?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 11:14:10 pm »
For my money it would be the Osage with a bamboo back. 1 1/4" wide at the fades. How long is the Osage. For your first boo backed bow I would like over 62".
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 07:36:04 am »
There are many design options with boo backed bows. Can you elaborate and/or post pics on that "not the best quality" osage?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 09:41:30 am »
For my money it would be the Osage with a bamboo back. 1 1/4" wide at the fades. How long is the Osage. For your first boo backed bow I would like over 62".

X2.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 10:29:29 am »
You can take the worst osage you have, back it with bamboo and have a great bow.

Offline macbow

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 02:14:28 pm »
I have a question on preparing a thin ringed piece of Osage.
Do I just flatten the back any way I can regardless of violating the rings?
Thanks, Ron
Ron Mackenberg   Warsaw, MO.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 03:11:20 pm »
Flatten that sucker.  8) The beauty of backing with boo or wood is that the ring violations don't mean all that much. If you are backing with silk or linen, I would be a little more carefull.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Simple Hunter

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 06:04:40 pm »
Ok, to be more specific I am looking for a R/D design and the osage is very thin ringed and 1 1/4 inches wide.I was kind of leaning to the hickory unless someone with more experience thinks the osage would be better.Also I would like the bow to be 50# at 27in.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 06:16:13 pm »
What are the dimensions (length width and thickness) of the boards.
I think we already expressed our oppinion on the Osage. Unless you can tell us why it won't work. The reasons you have given so far don't change my oppinion.
If you are stuck on using the Hickory, you don't need our permission, just get it done.

SW Utah