Author Topic: Bows we are not comfortable making  (Read 6534 times)

Offline FVR

• http://www.angelfire.com/ga/alionatemysister/
Bows we are not comfortable making
« on: December 27, 2009, 01:22:41 am »
My first bow was a 60" hickory board bow that I still take out and shoot every once in awhile.  That was back in 95 that I made it.  Since then I've made many and a good variety of designs.  For the last many, many years I've gotten comfy building 45' to 60" flatbows, recurves, and pony bows.  These are the bows that I can make very well, it's second nature and although time consuming, pretty easy for me.

Few weeks back I noticed a blank on one of these boards.  Bamboo backed lemonwood with purpleheart lam. in.  I do not usually make these kinds of bows, first I really don't have the tools like a bandsaw, tablesaw, sander etc., maybe that is why I have limited myself to the prim. style bows.  Well, I saw this blank and had to have it, so I traded for it.

When I rec'd it, I was beside myself.  I felt and still feel like I'm cheating as it was a glued up blank.  But I'm going to make a bow out of it.

Decided on a design that I've never made, an ELB.  Kept it at 72 1/2", WOW....................big diff. tillering a 72" than a 45".  You actually have to hang it on the wall and step back.  It took a little more work than I thought but I finished tillering it and I did ref. the bowyer bibles (all 4).  Figure the weight is about 70lbs at 27".

Took it out to the 3D, shot 4 times from a range of 10yds to 25.  All 4 shots were in the kill of the deer. Hmmmmmmm.................I'm hooked......Time to expand my bow building to new designs.  ELB, there will be more.
Can't cheat the mountain, pilgrim.
Mountain got it....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bows we are not comfortable making
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 02:15:17 am »
For me it is the R/D design. I have a hard time seeing good tiller with these bows. I prefer a simple straight limbed bow(60" to 70") or a short(60"MOL) recurve.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Kirkll

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 02:30:56 am »
awwwww variety is the spice of life bro. :)  i've been building glass bows for 3 years now, and even played with some carbon fiber lay ups last winter... now i'm patiently scraping rings off my first osage stave a bit at a time....i find it facinating to get into something way overyour head, and try and work and study your way out of it sucessfully. its called adventure in my book. :)  Great stuff.... Do you have photos of this tri lam?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 03:24:10 am »
I am with PatB here...I play hell trying to visualize perfect tiller on a R/D Bow...I guess thats why I like D and California Paddle Bows so much!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 06:43:51 am »
Your forst ELB...
Being from England, my situation is the other war around, I started off making longbows (ELB) , so there are all the lovely pyraminds and flat and static/ctive recurves for me to play with. It's a tough job, but I'm worling my way through 'em ;D
Oddly I think an ELB is more forgiving to tiller as you have more thickness to play with.
There is something empowering about walking through the English countryside with an ELB and a full quiver.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 08:15:45 am »
I'm finding that the stiff handled bow that I am currently working on is making me uncomfortable.  I started making stiff handled bows,  then my last few bows were made bendy handled.  Now going back to a stiff handle is fooling my eyes when on the tiller tree.  I find it much easier for me to look at the entire bow arc, rather then the individual limbs. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 10:14:47 am »
Anything over 100# draw weight
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Grunt

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 10:24:35 am »
The re/de's take a lot more time and the first string is a bear! The tiller on a re/de is a lot tougher for me also and then there's all the prep, glue up and hot box. I'm learning the re/de because I feel I need to have that knowledge under my belt.  I been looking at my hickory staves and my clear oak boards and I want to get back th them. For me  the re/de's are like furniture building with a lot of jointery and the self and board bows are like sculpture.

Offline mox1968

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 10:56:55 am »
nothing empowering in the uk about walking around with a bow  del our nanny state has taken our right to hunt and do anything else that might be remotely fun to do even on our own land.ireland is the same the usa has got it right the people there have back bone and shout out against the vegetarian bunny huggers.
rant over ...........

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 11:09:59 am »
Mox....you made Me Think about the Situation over there.... I am glad that there are Antis even there in England that Agree with the way We (Americans) stand up for Ourselves when it comes to petty things like....Hunting and Our Rights to Keep and Bear Arms...of any type...and to want to have the right to Hunt and Fish...without being limited to what We can use to do so...most other Countries criticize Our means...I think it Sad the way Europe as a whole has done away with Archey as a Hunting Sport...You can Own and Build a Bows...but can not use them for anything but shooting Targets...this should wake all others up on this ...the Gun may not be the only Weapon that Our Government is willing to Take from Us....and as for P.E.T.A....I too think Animals are Tasty........ ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Kegan

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 11:12:12 am »
I wasn't comfortable with R/D. Thanks to tillering some stiff tip bows, they don't seem so bad now (and I'm doing them as selfbows). I'm still not comfortable with board bows over 55# though. I've had bad experiences with selfbows breaking and my glue joints failing :-X!

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 11:40:41 am »
R/D tiller has been a bit of a nemesis for me as well.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 12:17:41 pm »
Bows for someone else.  I don't mind breaking bows and often push the envelope too far when building one for myself. It is when I am building one for someone else and know they are anxiously waiting that makes me nervous that I might get in too big of a hurry and break it.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline sailordad

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 12:33:32 pm »
well i am with most so far,r/d bows are a bugger for me to tiller
other than that i would say f/g bows too  ;D,especially since i never tried and never will
i am also not real comfortable making any type of bow when i have a deadline.when i do agree to make one for someone that request it
i tell them "it will be done when its finished and i promise no later than that".if they dont like mytime table i tell them ot go to the store and buy one
because they are finished when you want it "now".the last 2 i made for a dude took me 3.5 months and they were just boards bows
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 01:19:18 pm »
Mox....you made Me Think about the Situation over there.... I am glad that there are Antis even there in England that Agree with the way We (Americans) stand up for Ourselves when it comes to petty things like....Hunting and Our Rights to Keep and Bear Arms...of any type...and to want to have the right to Hunt and Fish...without being limited to what We can use to do so...most other Countries criticize Our means...I think it Sad the way Europe as a whole has done away with Archey as a Hunting Sport...You can Own and Build a Bows...but can not use them for anything but shooting Targets...this should wake all others up on this ...the Gun may not be the only Weapon that Our Government is willing to Take from Us....and as for P.E.T.A....I too think Animals are Tasty........ ;D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  I think the reason for the difference is that in Europe the wild animals are now so few that hunting would pretty much mean extinction, which hundreds of species are on the verge of anyway. Of course there are people everywhere that want to do as they please without restraint. Here in Canada it was prohibited to shoot grizzlies. One local hero resented being told what not to do and shot and killed a harmless female grizzly with two cubs just to show how he felt. I guess arms of any type should include nuclear to take to a town hall meeting ?