Author Topic: Christmas Storm Bow  (Read 34906 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Christmas Storm Bow
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2009, 08:47:07 pm »
As for a Bark Photo...to late...... ;D....but the Bark was Grey/Black....had vertical cracks in it...and was broken into small Squarish figures all the way up and around...The Berries are see through...it may be Persimmon...but does it grow in Groves...really close together??
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Lombard

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2009, 10:55:13 pm »
They grow swiftly, and are immune to the usual delicacy of trees planted in unpredictable climates. They are one of the last trees to leaf out in the spring, and do not flower until well after the leaves have formed, bypassing the threat of blossom loss to frosts. The fruit hangs on the branches long into the winter. Because they grow swiftly and colonize off their root systems, they are ideal for helping recover habitat.

Offline woodstick

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2009, 10:58:58 pm »
dont know what it is but i looks good. aint nutting better to do on a cold day.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline sailordad

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2009, 11:07:40 pm »
dont know what it is but i looks good. aint nutting better to do on a cold day.

yup sure beats the heck out of blowing sbnow 5 times in 4 days and spending hours shoveling off the roof
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2009, 12:00:56 am »
I promise it's NOT persimmon. ;)
  What ever it is...It's lookin gooood.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2009, 02:12:28 pm »
 It looks like Chinaberry to me. Was the bark slippery when you took it off? When Chinaberries get old, to can see through them. And do you ever see little purple flowers on them in the Spring and early summer?   I just went to that Texas tree site. I think your first choice was right,Soapberry. It says it is often confused with Chinaberry. Chinaberry is in the  Mohogany family.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 02:16:52 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2009, 05:24:47 pm »
Eddie...I didn't take the Bark off till I started on the Bow...It was so damned Dry it didn't want to come off at all...I am playing Hell getting the Cambium to come off at all!! I got put on 12 Hour Nights on an Emergency Repair Job....so I am limited to how much I can work on this...I was going to Tiller it some more...but I looked at it this Morning when I came Home...and it was SCREAMING....Flip My Tips....so I did....what do you think?? It also has a Natural Dip in one Limb that I was going to Heat Out....but this Wood....whatever it is....does not Like Heat at all....When I flipped the Tips I got small cracks all over the Place...It takes so much heat to get it to move a smidgen that it scorches no matter what you use...but I got them done...Super Glued the Crack...which will probably be gone once I finish Tillering...but to be on the Safe Side ...I glued them up....Should I take this little Wookie out of that Limb or just not Push Fate...and leave it be what it is....a Ginky Bow...... :P

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Jesse

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2009, 06:37:58 pm »
looking really good.  Cant wait to see it all finished.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2009, 06:50:10 pm »
Well just to keep You from being Disappointed....There ain't going to be no Eye Candy here....you know Me....I go for Useability and Dependability...Purty never enters the Equation.............. ;D............... ;)
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2009, 07:08:52 pm »
dang mike that looks nice wit ththe tips flipped like that

Offline tombo

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2009, 07:27:23 pm »
El D, I'm in S. Tex but a friend from your parts describes an 'shinry' ??  tree that grows like you described. Dunno...OUT. Tom

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2009, 07:32:12 pm »
El D, I'm in S. Tex but a friend from your parts describes an 'shinry' ??  tree that grows like you described. Dunno...OUT. Tom

Thats a New One on Me....might ask Him how it's spelled...because that and any combination I have tried...comes up Blank.. ???
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline tombo

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2009, 07:42:59 pm »
Shinree ?? (sp)

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2009, 07:40:44 pm »
Well I let it rest one day from when I bent the Tips....maybe I should have waited longer..... :P...here is where I am now...Hope You Guys have a Happy New Year...I'll be thinking about it ...as I am running a 150 ton Crane in the Snow for 12 Hours tonight...... I still have not decided what to do with the Tips yet...but I know that the Handle is getting a Leather Buildup and a nice Elk Hide Wrap when it's done...

[attachment deleted by admin]
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2009, 07:46:34 pm »
Mike
that stick looks better and better each time you post a pic
cant wais to see it finished