Author Topic: Things you have Accidently shot in the House.  (Read 8810 times)

Offline Bushbow

Things you have Accidently shot in the House.
« on: December 25, 2009, 11:10:36 pm »
Ever shot something in the house you did not intend to?
I was watching TV late one night and made a bow out of two Douglas fir slats. I overlapped the ends to form a handle, taped it together and added a cotton string. I don't know the draw weight, but it was not much. I had to test it, so I grabbed a light target arrow and threw a local phone book on the couch (1" thick) and shot it from about 5'. Whack! It hit harder than I expected. Thru the phone book and about 1" into the couch. Mercifully my wife was in bed (I would not have got past stringing it up, if she was up), the couch was old, and the hole was small. I never brought it up, she never noticed, and the couch is gone now. Anyone else? >:D

Offline woodstick

Re: Things you have Accidently shot in the House.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 11:31:39 pm »
my wife wont let me shoot in the house plus the only area i got is the hallwat and my kids bedroom doors are down it. my friend shoots his compound in his house to work on form. not me. my form is perfect. ha ha b.s.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 12:04:37 am »
I'm just lucky I have a 30' long basement to practice shooting

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 12:22:50 am »
 I accidentally stuck an atlatl dart in the ceiling of the Gymnasium in high school  when I was a kid.. does that count?
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 12:29:30 am »
Nothing too memorable...YET!!! A few flower pots, the occasional garden hose, a gas can or two. You know, the ordinary stuff.  ;D  I try to be aware of where my shot might go but... ::)  
   Fortunately we live in the middle of the woods so a misplaced shot or ricochet shot only get lost.  ;D  I do have an old dog that shows up between me and the target butt unannounced. Actually, that keeps me on my toes.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 12:40:55 am »
Shot a car tire out one time on accident. The arrow skipped off the top of the 3d target then bounced across the ground under the car and hit the off side tire. Had to have been like 125 yard shot.  That was interesting to explain.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline Jesse

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 01:06:56 am »
I had an old 45# fiberglass longbow when I was younger and I got it taken away because I took my sisters plastic toy horses and shot them all in my bedroom with a mattress for a backstop but some went through the mattress and put a few holes in the paneling. Parents were not too happy with that one ;D
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 01:23:13 am »
I was shooting in our basement hallway leading into the laundry room, and I missed my mark.  I shot through the wall, through an (empty) bedroom  door, breaking a mirror on the oposite wall. Sweet Jesus. I thought I had the mess all cleaned up, but when the boss got home, I couldn't explain the nice little round hole through the bedroom door. No more shooting in the house.   ;D O:)

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 02:24:44 am »
Thanks for the responses, I got a laugh. ;D There is also the time I was shooting my target butt from the end of the driveway into the garage (20 yards). I got bored and decided to shoot the garbage can. Hit it a couple of times, The next arrow hit it on tangent, ricocheted into a folded ping pong table, richocheted again, and nailed my weedwacker in the plastic housing. That field point is still bouncing around in the weedwacker. Don't tell my wife.
Chuck S.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 02:33:33 am »
I accidentally shot my own quiver once.   I was shooting at some bales in the back yard.  One of the arrows flew sort of squirrelly so i backed up to shoot it again, leaving my quiver on top of the bales.  (I wasn't going to miss that badly!)  I let loose with the funny arrow.   In the 15 yards to the bale, the arrow shot straight toward the ground, skimmed along the grass and then suddenly shot up to hit my quiver.   I checked the arrow and found was way under spined.
And then there was time as a teenager when I dry fired my 22 at a duck wing tacked on the side of the garage.   Except of course that it wasn't a dry fire.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 03:12:22 am »
      To this day I cannot figure out how this shot happened. I lived in a back house behind my ex wife. We got along well and by doing this we didn't need to selll the house. There was a wooden fence that seperated my yard from hers, my target was set up about 2ft below the top of the fence, bulls eye about 3 ft below. Somehow an arrow got loose and went through her bedroom window, into her closet and right through her brand new new years eve dress that she was to wear that night. Glass covered every inch of the room. she was furious. years later she finaly admitted that she was still able to wear the dress and the hole was able to be fixed somehow.
     My other dumb move was a buddy had leaned his old ben pearson on the side of my target, his dad who passed away gave it to him and he brought it by to show me. Somehow that bow just sucked me in and I shot through a limb ruining it. Bow had no real value to speak of but plenty of sentimental value.

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 06:29:47 am »
I have quite a few tales to tell, some will have to wait until my wife finds the holes and asks how they got there! My best so far, is a metal garage door. An archery buddy came round to check out my latest bow, we were shooting it in my makeshift range in the garage. I had a brainwave about instinct shooting, so I let off a few quick arrows to find my mark, then tried one with my eyes shut! The resounding boom told me I had missed. My buddy was laughing his head off, and my arrow had gone right through the metal door just to the right of my target, only stopping at the fletching. My wife had heard the boom and guessed what I had done, she came in and gave me one of those looks that sends you back to being a child again. She just shook her head and said fix it. I had the last laugh though, couple of weeks later the same Boyer buddy came round and put an arrow right through my wife's sun lounger, don't know how he did it, my guess is instinct shooting again!

Nat

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 08:21:00 am »
copper gas line in the basement, my buddies lawn mower in his garage, one of his bows that was hanging in his basement after i put an arrow through his basement window, and the coup de grace the jacket on my waterheater. just dented the tin side and tore through the jacket. oh yeah i almost forgot about the $#itter pipe in the basement.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Dane

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 10:18:44 am »
Not shot, but a hole was involved. I wont go into why I was drilling on the table, but I ended up drilling a 1/8" hole in the dining room table. It was clean and all the way though. My wife didn't notice it for years, until my boss was over for dinner, and he asked about the hole. He assumed she already knew, as I had been soliciting ideas to plug the hole at work one day.

Luckily we were needing a new table, so I was not in too much trouble. Not much, anyway. 

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2009, 10:24:52 am »
I've had shots in my house but they were of the liquid variety. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!