Author Topic: R/D vs. Recurve  (Read 1525 times)

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
R/D vs. Recurve
« on: December 30, 2009, 09:03:50 am »
I am wanting to build a new form for either a R/D or Recurve as I've never attempted either one.  What would be better for to try first.  A full length setup of the form like on page 160 of BBII or a recurve form like on page 177 of BBII? Any suggestions/pictures/dimensions would be appreciated!  Thanks!!

I was looking at something like http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,12401.0.html  Does anyone have the dimensions of each set of blocks for a moderate design...nothing extreme?

Here is another link:  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,1930.0.html for the recurve form.  I don't really want anything that extreme though  :o  ;D 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 10:04:49 am by jeffutley57 »
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Kegan

Re: R/D vs. Recurve
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 11:26:46 am »
For my recurve form, I just cut a bend, with a notch at the end to hold the tip, in a 2x8. Works like a charm.

For the R/D, I use two shallow curved blocks. I put these down on a long 2x4 and clamp the bow down, belly up, on top of this (I then heat in the shape, but for laminates you'd just let the glue sit obviously). I haven't had alot of problems with this, because if the bend is slightly off I can readjust it with heat (I've been tillering R/D bows with heat as mush as scraping!). It also allows me to experiment with where I put the bends. Lately I've been putting the reflex in the outer limbs and putting the deflex closer to the handle.

Although alot of people find tillering R/D bows harder than other types, I think that the lack of alignment problems with the recurves and the simplicity of the form make a R/D bow worth it :)

I hope this helps :)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 11:34:53 am by Kegan »

Offline Gordon

Re: R/D vs. Recurve
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 08:59:56 pm »
R/D will be easier to start with - not as many tip alignment issues as compared to a recurve.
Gordon