Author Topic: Does anyone know what this is?  (Read 2888 times)

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
Does anyone know what this is?
« on: January 05, 2010, 02:28:54 pm »
I have this shrub in my front yard (just moved in three months ago) and when I got to looking at it closely I found many straight shoot in the middle. I cut some to let them dry, always looking for shaft material. I would just like to know if there is anyone of you guys that knows what this is and if I'm wasting my time in them or not.
THanks
Mark

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
Re: Does anyone know what this is?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 02:47:43 pm »
Looks like Privet.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 03:12:04 pm »
I'd say privet(Legustrum) also. It makes excellent shafts that are tough and heavy.  You do not want to peel the bark until it is dry. Privet will check badly if stripped too soon.
  Jackcrafty did a build along in the "How To" section making Plains Indian style arrows. Look it up!  Lots of good info.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 04:04:58 pm »
Thanks, I'll look that up. I did notice they seemed heavy, but My fingers were half frozen when I cut them so I couldn't say for sure. I'll look up that post you talked about!
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 05:33:57 pm »
Yep, Ligustrum sinense, Chinese Privet. Makes good shafts like Pat said.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 06:48:31 pm »
looks like viburnum to me

Offline aero86

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 07:49:23 pm »
good on you on that one.  looks like what ive been going through here.  must be the same thing.  i cut some sunday after christmas, removed the bark this weekend, and some cracked.  thought it was dry enough!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 08:13:36 pm »
try letting it dry wit the bark on

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 12:58:57 am »
You should let it dry for a month before removing the bark. I like to bundle the shoots together with rubber bands or spiral wrap with cord. You can hand straighten them every few days as they dry, rewrap and set aside.  A method some use is to remove all the bark except for the last 2" at each end of the shoot. Try a few like this and see if it works. If it does, the drying process will be quicker.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC